Apple will fix a cracked screen FREE.. Right?

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
So I was on a week long (amazing) vacation in California all of last week when on the very last day (yesterday) the unimaginable happened... I was standing on a rock on the beach of Big Sur, CA and I snapped a shot with my white 32GB iPhone 3Gs- I went to slide the phone back into the pocket of my jeans but it skated to the outside, slipped, and smashed onto the rock... Luckily(I use that term very loosely), the touch ability seems unharmed and the phone is still intact and functioning as it should... I just have a very ominous spiderweb crack in the glass of the bottom left corner of the faceplate.... :( I did some research and found that if it is within warranty, you should be able to just go up there and they replace the screen on the spot at the Genius bar for free and send you on your way... Is this true?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
So I was on a week long (amazing) vacation in California all of last week when on the very last day (yesterday) the unimaginable happened... I was standing on a rock on the beach of Big Sur, CA and I snapped a shot with my white 32GB iPhone 3Gs- I went to slide the phone back into the pocket of my jeans but it skated to the outside, slipped, and smashed onto the rock... Luckily(I use that term very loosely), the touch ability seems unharmed and the phone is still intact and functioning as it should... I just have a very ominous spiderweb crack in the glass of the bottom left corner of the faceplate.... :( I did some research and found that if it is within warranty, you should be able to just go up there and they replace the screen on the spot at the Genius bar for free and send you on your way... Is this true?
Nope

Your warranty does not cover accidental damage

You have two option

Either send it to Apple and get them to replace it the cost $199.

Or order the replacement glass off the internet and replace it yourself.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Nope

Your warranty does not cover accidental damage

You have two option

Either send it to Apple and get them to replace it the cost $199.

Or order the replacement glass off the internet and replace it yourself.
Then what is this guy talking about?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Then what is this guy talking about?
defective screen for free if your iPhone is under warranty
Standard disclaimer: Defective doesn’t mean cracked beyond belief because your estranged ex drove over it in her Hummer. That does void your warranty, as does liquid damage and jailbroken phones.)
smashed my iPhone screen (left on roof of car!) but just booked in to a uk Apple store for screen repair or replacement iPhone (!) for £139
*told that smashed screen glass is accidental damage so not covered under warranty*
Your warranty deffinatly does not cover you dropping the phone and the screen being cracked

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Also here is some more confirmation from Apples site

What type of damages are not covered by my warranty?
Apple's Limited Warranty for iPhone excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, disassembly, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications. Please review the warranty for further details. An iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service may be eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service. For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is ineligible for warranty service but eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details. Refer to this article to check if the liquid submersion indicator on your product has been triggered.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Hm. Bad news. Looks like I'll be going to ipodjuice

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I first thought the OP was joking. As I read on I could see the OP is very serious. I am truly amazed that a person would think a factory warranty covers personal negligence. Why would Apple (or any other company) replace an item they sold you and you broke? If you owned a businesss and you sell someone an item in brand new condition. Would you replace it for free if the customer brought it back smashed? What kind of thinking do people have these days? Some people always expect someone else to take responsibility for their mistakes.

I feel bad that you dropped your iPhone and ruined it but that was your mistake and you have to correct it (by paying to get it fixed or replacing it). You can't seriously think Apple should replace cracked screens free for customers who drop their phone. Could you? Mark:D

GreenMother

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
If you buy the screens on the Internet you might wanna get the fully assembled ones. I bought the separate and unded up having to glue a small metal frame to one. The interior of these phone are very small. I wouldn't do it yourself unless you have some patience and skill. The fully assembled screens just need to be plugged in and are much easier and you have less chance of damaging the delicate and tiny interior iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you are not up to fixing it yourself, you can probably find someone locally that will fix it for around $85 (check Craigslist). They usually guarantee their work. I've heard that the replacement parts are $20 if you are interested in attempting to fix it yourself. There are how to instructions on the internet that will walk you through it, but it's pretty technical.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I first thought the OP was joking. As I read on I could see the OP is very serious. I am truly amazed that a person would think a factory warranty covers personal negligence. Why would Apple (or any other company) replace an item they sold you and you broke? If you owned a businesss and you sell someone an item in brand new condition. Would you replace it for free if the customer brought it back smashed? What kind of thinking do people have these days? Some people always expect someone else to take responsibility for their mistakes.

I feel bad that you dropped your iPhone and ruined it but that was your mistake and you have to correct it (by paying to get it fixed or replacing it). You can't seriously think Apple should replace cracked screens free for customers who drop their phone. Could you? Mark:D
I think you're missing what the OP misunderstood. He took that article as saying Apple will fix the screen for free. What the article was saying was Apple will fix it while you wait. It doesn't mention price.

Joe

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I think you're missing what the OP misunderstood. He took that article as saying Apple will fix the screen for free. What the article was saying was Apple will fix it while you wait. It doesn't mention price.

Joe
Since the OP never referenced the article in the original post via a link to it. I had no idea his post was based off of misinformation or misunderstanding. I still don't see how anyone would think (or expect) Apple would replace a user cracked screen for free. Mark

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008
Seems like the OP read an article and probably misunderstood what it meant.
Obviously he also had some doubt, which is why he came here to ask.
Never hurts to ask.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Try taking it to Apple, and be nice and explain yourself, i have had countless friends in the same situation as you get their phone replaced. Be honest and be nice. IT will work!

roscoe

Sep 30, 2009
I recently had a similar problem with my iPhone screen and did a lot of research on the internet...while it seems to be true that Apple will fix them for free (yes even if dropped) as long as you're "nice" about it, I had no such luck.

I don't think OP ever expected Apple to replace a product that was broken by the user for free...and neither did I...HOWEVER I do have a major issue with the way in which Apple is dealing with these issues.

1) Fix one, fix all - sorry but you can't claim to have great customer service and then apply a bias to your customer base. It doesn't work that way.

2) Fix it for a reasonable price - you can buy the screen and replacement parts online for less than $50 (probably closer to $20). It takes the genius' 10 minutes to fix the phone. Let's do the math here:

Cost of replacing screen with Apple - $200 (approx)
Cost of parts - $50 (generously)

Therefore, the time of the tech must be worth $150 for 10 minutes.

$150 * 6 = $900 / hr

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous...the only people that charge $900/hr for service are overpriced lawyers.

Although maybe I'm missing something? Maybe you do a need a law degree to work as a genius at the Apple store...after all, they are a genius and that's not a title to be used lightly ;)

Sep 11, 2009
Why would Apple (or any other company) replace an item they sold you and you broke? If you owned a businesss and you sell someone an item in brand new condition. Would you replace it for free if the customer brought it back smashed?
Umm, tire companies?

That's why u get with verizon hell my co worker dropped his phone in a toilet and took it in and got a replace when my contract is up that's where I'm going he'll AT&T should add something like that it's like $8 a month but your good even if it's your fault

Fata1ity.

Sep 29, 2009
And now why would Apple want to lose thousands of dollars to people who can not show some responsibility in taking care of their phone.

My husband just had his iPhone drop out of his belt clip and when it hit the driveway the screen spider cracked...It seems to be a glass under another glass ...is this so? And can someone give me the web site for instructions on how to replace the glass...does this replace both glass covers at the same time?
Thanks Karen