Apple will fix a cracked screen FREE.. Right?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Yes there is a glass screen and then the LCD screen. There are tons of youtube vids on how to do it yourself. Just search for iPhone screen replacement. There are places that will do it for cheaper price than Apple. I think the procedure is supposed to be easier if you have the 3GS. Maybe someone will post reliable sites that replace the screen unless you are just determined to do it yourself.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Umm, tire companies?
Tire companies only replace if it's manufacturer fault. Tire stores, on the other hand, replace tires ONLY if you have Road Hazard Warranty...and even then, most replacements are at a 'prorated' rate meaning you are still liable for some $$.

dynalmadman

Sep 11, 2009
Tire companies only replace if it's manufacturer fault. Tire stores, on the other hand, replace tires ONLY if you have Road Hazard Warranty...and even then, most replacements are at a 'prorated' rate meaning you are still liable for some $$.
Okay....so....

New Tire + Warranty = Free or reduced cost replacement if damaged

New iPhone + Warranty = NOT free or reduced cost replacement if damaged

Just making that clear. Someone asked what kind of company would cover cost of returned damaged goods. Tire stores do it.

Michael

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Brown Gem, thanks for your reply. And if anyone knows of a reliable web site for me to visit to find out more please reply!

Karen
I meant to say there are 2 parts..glass digitizer screen and LCD screen underneath that. Click HERE for parts and look to the left side of the page for videos with instructions. You can probably get the glass screen with digitizer cheaper on Ebay but this site gives you an idea of what you need.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Okay....so....
New Tire + Warranty = Free or reduced cost replacement if damaged
New iPhone + Warranty = NOT free or reduced cost replacement if damaged
Just making that clear. Someone asked what kind of company would cover cost of returned damaged goods. Tire stores do it.
Michael
You're missing the point. The tire company is NOT the tire store. The store itself is the one that would sell a warranty on top of the product and is included in the price. Apple store does not do this.

i.e. Best Buy offers accidental coverage on iPhones. In essense, Best Buy sold you the phone, not Apple. Best Buy is the tire store, Apple is the tire company.

Sorry if I misread that. I can see another way you meant it. Essentially when getting a hazard warranty it is at an additional cost which is comparable to Best Buy's additional warranty.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Apple stores do not actually replace or repair your broken screen, they just replace your phone. That's why the price is 199-299. this is great customer service if you take into account the the iPhone cost retail 599-699. i see no reason why anybody should be disappointed in the customer care at Apple when the damage was not Apples fault

second the "being nice" path will work but is dependent on the genius you get. the rule for screen replacements is a strict no based on the actual rules Apple gives for Applecare, some genius might ignore that rule and can help you out sometimes.