AppleCare+ Cost Increase

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Europa, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Of course it did.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple wasn't making enough profit, apparently.

4. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

They ma
    They make plenty of profit on me alone.

5. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Ugh . . . I'll complain and whine about it, but I will line up with the rest of the sheep to get it.

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I usually transfer my remaining Apple Care+ to my next iPhone every year. I hope they allow me to do this, I don't see why they won't. It's not actually a transfer of sorts, they refund me the remaining coverage amount and I outright buy the new Apple Care+. So, I will be just paying more anyhow. No real savings this go around.

Oh Apple.:p

7. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Companies like Apple hate me, because they can't make money off me. :D

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't kid yourself.

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Okay, they do make money whenever I upgrade to a new iPhone, or if I were to buy a new iPad, or when I buy this new Apple TV, but they aren't getting anything more from me. I won't upgrade every year like they would want me to.

10. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

It's funny, I never blinked an eye at purchasing AppleCare+ for my iPhones for $99. For some reason, increasing the price to over $100 has turned me off. I went ahead and ordered two iPhone 6s's at 12:05am, but didn't select AppleCare+. I will take the 60 day waiting period on purchasing AppleCare+ to decide if I am going to purchase for either of my two new iPhone 6s's.

11. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

Well for me it's not only the $30 price increase but also the $20 increase if you take it in because of it being dropped.

It used to be $99 and then a $50 accidental damage charge when the 5/5s were out. That was a no Brainer for me so I always got it.

Then for the 6 and 6 plus they charged $99 and increased the accidental to $80. Ok, whatever. Still not that bad.

Now it's $130 and $100 for accidental damage. Now this is pretty much robbery. So now with their insurance you pretty much pay $230 just to replace a cracked screen.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

We also have to consider that Apple lowered the cost of the older phone by $99 and kept the same price points for the phones. They are making money, but also positioned themselves in a spot where they need to increase the price of AppleCare to balance out costs. That is my two cents.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nothing changed there. The cost of the older phones has decreased every year a new iPhone has come out. What is it evening out?

It used to be cheaper to get a screen replaced with AppleCare+, now it's more expensive. It used to be $229 for screen replacement (this is because they usually replaced the phone). AppleCare+ was $99 and the deductible was $49 at the time. Now a screen replacement (for an iPhone 6 - the 6s prices aren't listed yet) is only $109. AppleCare+ has increased to $129 and the incident charge has increased to $99, which is a total of $228. This is more than twice the cost of a screen replacement. Even if you get two screens replaced, you still haven't saved any money. Additionally, a lot of people without AppleCare+ have been able to get their screens replaced for free. While this is a nice gesture by Apple, it isn't consistent and it isn't fair to the people who paid for insurance through Apple and are always expected to pay the deductible.

However, you do get free shipping on replacements if you don't live near an Apple Store and you also get the standard warranty extended by one year. It also covers water damage, but the newer phones seem to be water resistant and short dips in water or exposure to rain doesn't typically cause problems anymore. They don't advertise the water resistance because then they would be expected to cover water damage after people took their phones swimming for thirty minutes.

I still got it this year, but I can't say it's a great deal anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I bet the cost to Apple of the screen replacements has gone up with force touch. How much? Who knows but that is probably the reason for an increase to AppleCare+. I will not be getting it now.

15. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Keep in mind that Squaretrade is also an option for reimbursement type coverage. It is $99 for two years service with a $75 deductible. Or you can get three years for $129.

I may go this route this time.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I checked on Apple.com yesterday and the 6s/6s Plus were not listed yet. I just checked again and they updated it. Here are the new screen replacement prices (without AppleCare+):

iPhone 6s Plus: $149
    iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $129
    iPhone 6: $109

• List
  17. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

To date I've always bought AppleCare or AppleCare+ for my iPhones. I'm still torn on whether or not I'm going to get AppleCare+ for my 6s. I live within 30 minutes of an Apple store and I use a protective case. I've dropped my iPhones many many times without damage thanks to the cases. I'm leaning toward skipping it. The only reason I can think of for buying it, for me, would be in case of severe damage beyond needing the screen replaced.

EDIT: That being said, I plan on keeping the 6s for two years, so getting AppleCare+ for the extended warranty alone kinda makes sense. Decisions, decisions. At least I have 60 days to make up my mind.

#17 Kadelic, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've never had Applecare+ and am not wanting it now. I'm torn as well. It's a bigger more expensive phone. In 3 years, I've only dropped a couple times a short 2 or 3 feet.

19. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

In some scenarios, it only takes one mishap. On the other hand, the house always wins. I tend to believe it's better for ME to have this sort of coverage; just in case.
    YMMV

20. Shellyhadsell

Shellyhadsell New Member

I've never purchased apple care and have had to replace broken iPhones 3 times, the last one being my 6+. Each time I have had to replace the phone my cost has been $200.00 at the Apple Store.