Applecare+ Device Replacement Cost to Go Up

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I noticed today that Apple has quietly made a pretty major change to the AppleCare+ plan on new iDevices. The up-front cost is still $99, but should you actually need to replace your phone, you will pay $79 now instead of a $50 deductible. It's in the fine print, but I think that's a pretty major change.

I don't know about you, but I've had AppleCare+ since the 4S. I've had way too many friends break their phone and be stuck. However, I've never had to use AppleCare+...I've never dropped my iPhone/iPad. I'm thinking that I won't buy AppleCare+ for my next iPad (iPad 5 this year), but my phone is easier to drop & break.

On a side note, SquareTrade is doing a deal today that if you "Like" their Facebook page, they will email you a coupon for an $89 insurance plan on your new iPhone...the coupon is good for a year. Doesn't look like they raised the deductible.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just get a good case and be careful. Add up the deductible, the cost, over a couple of phones and it equals buying a used one on eBay if you have to. It's not cost effective unless you're a careless person.
I disagree and I'm not a careless person. I don't want to have to use a big, bulky or waterproof case. I get AppleCare+ so I can have peace of mind while using a minimalistic case or no case at all. There are additional benefits to AppleCare+ too. You get free two-day shipping on warranty-covered replacements which is normally $29, tech support is extended from 3 months to 2 years and your standard warranty is extended from 1 year to 2 years.