Applecare+ Device Replacement Cost to Go Up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I noticed today that Apple has quietly made a pretty major change to the AppleCare+ plan on new iDevices. The up-front cost is still $99, but should you actually need to replace your phone, you will pay $79 now instead of a $50 deductible. It's in the fine print, but I think that's a pretty major change.

I don't know about you, but I've had AppleCare+ since the 4S. I've had way too many friends break their phone and be stuck. However, I've never had to use AppleCare+...I've never dropped my iPhone/iPad. I'm thinking that I won't buy AppleCare+ for my next iPad (iPad 5 this year), but my phone is easier to drop & break.

On a side note, SquareTrade is doing a deal today that if you "Like" their Facebook page, they will email you a coupon for an $89 insurance plan on your new iPhone...the coupon is good for a year. Doesn't look like they raised the deductible.

3. Lisa22

Lisa22 Member
    Bronze

Just get a good case and be careful. Add up the deductible, the cost, over a couple of phones and it equals buying a used one on eBay if you have to. It's not cost effective unless you're a careless person.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I disagree and I'm not a careless person. I don't want to have to use a big, bulky or waterproof case. I get AppleCare+ so I can have peace of mind while using a minimalistic case or no case at all. There are additional benefits to AppleCare+ too. You get free two-day shipping on warranty-covered replacements which is normally $29, tech support is extended from 3 months to 2 years and your standard warranty is extended from 1 year to 2 years.