AppleCare for iPhone disclaimer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
So as I was reading the page in the support area about the iPhone AppleCare plan, I noticed this in big letters.

Special Instructions for Residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, and Wyoming

Apple is not authorized to sell the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone to residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming. If you are a resident of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming, please do not order the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. If you submit an order that includes the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, Apple will remove it from your order, notify you about the removal and process the remaining items on your order.

Now, I live in NY so this doesn't affect me, but to me its just really random.

A320CA

Jul 3, 2007
So as I was reading the page in the support area about the iPhone AppleCare plan, I noticed this in big letters.

Apple is not authorized to sell the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone to residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming. If you are a resident of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming, please do not order the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. If you submit an order that includes the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, Apple will remove it from your order, notify you about the removal and process the remaining items on your order.

Yeah, what's up with this? Any ideas?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Very weird.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me

I'm sure it's far from random, and I'm sure they would love to sell it in those states if they could. It probably has something to do with the insurance laws in those states which make it prohibitive for Apple to offer the plan.

They wouldn't be the first company to not do businesss in a particular state because of goofy consumer protection/insurance laws. Many car companies wouldn't lease cars in New York for awhile because there were a couple of goofy laws which put an overly high burden on the leasing company in the event of loss (if memory serves). I'm guessing it's for a similar reason that Apple can't offer the plan in those states.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I would think there are laws in thise states that prevent Apple from selling AppleCare, or there are laws that don't allow some of the stuff in the AppleCare agreement, so Apple chose not to sell it there.

That's what I would think.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I think it has to do with insurance in those states. It is very possible the STATE dosn't allow 3rd party insurance.

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I think it has to do with insurance in those states. It is very possible the STATE dosn't allow 3rd party insurance.
Thats interesting you say that, i don't really think Apple care can be classified under and "insurance plan", from reading the description it is more a repair plan and it will not cover preventables..who knows