AppleCare on an iMac.....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JaniceH, May 6, 2013.

1. JaniceH

JaniceH Member
    Bronze

My son just bought an iMac and he is wondering if he should purchase AppleCare for it. I was hoping I could get some opinions from some members on this. He lives in Canada and is 1.5 hours from the nearest Apple store.. thanks...

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's personal preference. I typically only buy it for my iPhones, but I do recommend it if he has the money. It's $169 and extends the manufacture's warranty from one year to three years. I didn't buy it on my iMac because it was more expensive when I bought mine in 2011. I believe it was $249 at the time.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD006LL/A/applecare-protection-plan-for-imac

#2 Europa, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

We got it for our MacMini @ Christmas. IIRC, we got it for $99 since we bought our setup through the student discount link. Regardless, at either price I think it's value is solid, considering it extends the tech support to three years as well....

4. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I bought it on my last 27" iMac and glad I did. Right toward the end of warranty I had display problems. I took it to the Apple store and they fixed me up right away. They also replaced the video board and power supply. The repair cost would have been $1100.
    I purchased a new iMac a few months ago and bought Apple care for it. Its cheap insurance, it shouldn't make any difference how far away the Apple store is, if it breaks you don't pay :)
    Tom

5. mdewitte

mdewitte New Member

I do tech support for Apple computers, and I'd highly recommend it. Original 90-day phone support and 1-year warranty both get extended to a total of three years. One hardware failure outside your warranty will cost more than the APP. When you call in and have coverage, we can assist you much more quickly.

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Do it. #peaceofmind

Sent using iCafe app

7. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Apple care is just what it says. Apple "care". You may forget you have it but when you need it, you'll be so glad you got it. I have it on my iPhones, iPads and iMacs.