Applecare plan - Worth it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Ok, so I am reading the Applecare plan to see if it is worth getting. It appears that for 70 dollars I extend the hardware coverage for one additional year. There is nothing in there that speaks towards loaner phones, and all damage caused by any factor other then the phone itself are not covered. So I am questioning its value.

Am I reading all this incorrectly or can someone enlighten me as to the value of this plan? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I read the Apple .pdf on it but that is what is making me question the value, particularly since my first Apple store experience with the phone and hardware issue left me feeling really ticked off with Apple.

jtiburcio

Oct 7, 2007
I would love to know myself...anyone has it?

Ok, so I am reading the Applecare plan to see if it is worth getting. It appears that for 70 dollars I extend the hardware coverage for one additional year. There is nothing in there that speaks towards loaner phones, and all damage caused by any factor other then the phone itself are not covered. So I am questioning its value.

Am I reading all this incorrectly or can someone enlighten me as to the value of this plan? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I read the Apple .pdf on it but that is what is making me question the value, particularly since my first Apple store experience with the phone and hardware issue left me feeling really ticked off with Apple.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If you used a credit card that included buyer protection (most platinum cards) to buy your iPhone then it already doubled the manufactures 1 year warranty to 2 years, so the Apple Care plan has no value at all.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
As far as my understanding of the Apple Care Plan goes it does ONLY cover hardware defects like the battery being depleted and not charging anymore. It wouldn't cover a fix if you were to drop your iPhone and scratch the screen to shreds or if you broke it in two. I was going to get the ACP but I got a PAP from State Farm to insure my phone for less than the ACP price and it covers ANY kind of hardware defect as well as if I drop it or damage it or lose it. I would personally suggest talking to State Farm and seeing if they offer a PAP for the iPhone in your area. Mine was right at $50 a year with $0 deductible to replace the iPhone.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
im not sure how it works... i have owned [not all at the same time] 2 imacs, 3 ibooks, 6 ipods, and i have NEVER bought Applecare and have been fine.. but this time i bought it ... i don't know why.. i just figured that the Apple support people would be more willing to help me if i had it. so i got it with the 100 rebate that Apple gave us....

eswank

Sep 2, 2007
I've bought AppleCare for my Mac Mini and my iMac ONLY. I've owned a few iPods and I have never bought AppleCare for any of them. I buy the AppleCare for the 'what if' and the 'just in case'.

The way I buy my AppleCare is fairly easy. Since you have the 1 year manafacturer's warranty on it you should be able to bring it in and still get service for whatever reason you bring it in for. Once the 11 month comes that I have owned the item, that's when I buy AppleCare. From there, AppleCare will last another two years. So all in all you have three years of AppleCare service.

I have never had problems with Apple and their service in my area. Hope this helps.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
It helps I guess. It is more that I actually read in the plan what Apple says it will do and frankly it will do almost nothing to justify the savings. It says it will only cover a defect, that right there eliminates what is probably 95% of what will happen to the phone, especially once past the first 6 months of use and being past the "burn in" period. So really, unless they change it so that it covers the loaner phone scam I guess I won't bother with it. Oh, the scam I am referring to is charging you 30$ for a loaner phone while yours is out for service.

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Apple care plain and simple:

adds 2 years to protection plan
-covers anything that happens to phone other than accidental damage

unlimited phone support
-with any Apple product you normally get only 90 days of phone support or ONE call, after that they charge you $40+ a call
-phone support isn't limited to only problems, if you have a question with the device they will kindly answer it with a fast and simple phone call