Apples. 3party apps in Feb,?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
so I know in Feb. Apple will
release their 3 party apps... I'm was just curious though .. Are they going to make us charge for it?

If I already jailbroke it. U think the feb. Patch( assuming they will do that)...will void out the installer program. Or let us use both ...

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
its Apple ,of course there gonna charge for the apps, and i highly doubt they will let u download apps from them without wiping out installer.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
its Apple ,of course there gonna charge for the apps, and i highly doubt they will let u download apps from them without wiping out installer.
That's blind assumption.

Apple will definitely never support Installer. It is hacking, and companies don't want their products hacked. The end.

There is, of course, a good chance that apps will be sold through iTunes. However, there's just as good of a chance that they will take a similar approach that Nullriver (company that developed Installer) took.

Even if they charge for the apps, there will be good, productive applications available. Not retarded little toys that serve no purpose. And if I think a certain is app is useful, will I pay for it? Heck yes, I will.

- John

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
You know I've got to admit that the majority of my 3rd party apps are of little real use to me. There are some notable standouts, though:

1) NES: I love this program. And even though it really doesn't make it legal, I only have the ROMs of games I actually own. Worth jailbreaking for this app alone.

2) Lockbox: Until there's a secure personal information storage program available officially this is the only option on the iPhone.

3) Simplify: Ability to stream all the music from my home computer to my iPhone. Also worth the price of admission all on its own.

4) Various utilities that add functionality that should have been built in: SMSd, MMS, etc...

5) And although they serve no real useful purpose, I love Summerboard, Customize, and Dock (although only for screenshot purposes). There's just something nice about being able to dress up the iPhone the way I want.

6) I do love MobileFinder for being able to e-mail full-size pics and to clean up the phone after I've uninstalled things (or to uninstall some files directly) .

Most other 3rd party apps I've seen are more or less toys as noted above. And as silly as it is I'd probably give up everything but Summerboard and Customize. Don't know why. Guess I just like having pics of my kids on the phone if I want to look at them all the time. And some of the themes people have come up with are absolutely beautiful! My hat is off to them.

With all that being said, if Apple would allow the iPhone's appearance
to be customized and would include the messaging features I've listed above then I would probably stop jailbreaking the phone and just use the Apple firmware updates.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
That's blind assumption.

Apple will definitely never support Installer. It is hacking, and companies don't want their products hacked. The end.

There is, of course, a good chance that apps will be sold through iTunes. However, there's just as good of a chance that they will take a similar approach that Nullriver (company that developed Installer) took.

Even if they charge for the apps, there will be good, productive applications available. Not retarded little toys that serve no purpose. And if I think a certain is app is useful, will I pay for it? Heck yes, I will.

- John
What do you see coming down the pike via the SDK release, that is so productive? Implementing features that should have been already on the iPhone do not qualify.

Sep 29, 2007
I hope that 3rd party applications will not cost money from Apple, instead I hope that the developer can charge if he wishes. I come from a windows mobile backround and I am used to such. I also really hope we will be able to download the application directly onto the phone much like .cab files in windows mobile phones.

Anyways I also say that buying applications from iTunes itsn't such a bad thing. We then know that the application is safe, and most likly pretty good. I cannot wait for an iChat for the iPhone or some AIM service.

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
You know I've got to admit that the majority of my 3rd party apps are of little real use to me. There are some notable standouts, though:

1) NES: I love this program. And even though it really doesn't make it legal, I only have the ROMs of games I actually own. Worth jailbreaking for this app alone.

2) Lockbox: Until there's a secure personal information storage program available officially this is the only option on the iPhone.

3) Simplify: Ability to stream all the music from my home computer to my iPhone. Also worth the price of admission all on its own.

4) Various utilities that add functionality that should have been built in: SMSd, MMS, etc...

5) And although they serve no real useful purpose, I love Summerboard, Customize, and Dock (although only for screenshot purposes). There's just something nice about being able to dress up the iPhone the way I want.

6) I do love MobileFinder for being able to e-mail full-size pics and to clean up the phone after I've uninstalled things (or to uninstall some files directly) .

Most other 3rd party apps I've seen are more or less toys as noted above. And as silly as it is I'd probably give up everything but Summerboard and Customize. Don't know why. Guess I just like having pics of my kids on the phone if I want to look at them all the time. And some of the themes people have come up with are absolutely beautiful! My hat is off to them.

With all that being said, if Apple would allow the iPhone's appearance
to be customized and would include the messaging features I've listed above then I would probably stop jailbreaking the phone and just use the Apple firmware updates.

How do you delete old files using Mobilefinder that were previously uninstalled but not offically removed from the iPhone memory ?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
How do you delete old files using Mobilefinder that were previously uninstalled but not offically removed from the iPhone memory ?
Just navigate to the location of the files, select them and hit the delete key on the bottom.

I think I am slowly becoming part of the camp that would stop modding if there were a few things added as I agree with the above poster, over time I am just not seeing the need for these mods. Allow to customize like summerboard and customize (esp hiding/re-ordering things), search, MMS, flash (granted no mod for this), a few "stock" games like minesweeper and solitare. Few other utilities and I would be set really.

iPhonematic

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Just navigate to the location of the files, select them and hit the delete key on the bottom.

I think I am slowly becoming part of the camp that would stop modding if there were a few things added as I agree with the above poster, over time I am just not seeing the need for these mods. Allow to customize like summerboard and customize (esp hiding/re-ordering things), search, MMS, flash (granted no mod for this), a few "stock" games like minesweeper and solitare. Few other utilities and I would be set really.
I'm still a lil lost ? How do I find all the files so I'm able to see the ones I need to delete ?