Apple's App Approval Process

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
...well, after learning about the Baby Shaker App, i wanted to start a discussion concerning Apple's App approval process...apple's procedure must not be that extensive, as far as requiring some sort of demo of an app before approval...your thoughts?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Lots of thoughts:
Their 'process' - if it's even fair to call it one - is about as broken as any process could be
There seems a lot of evidence recently that in fact there is no process - there are no open, public guidelines to be used by Apple's reviewers and known to developers - one big huge grey area and approval / rejection decisions left to the judgment (and whims) of each individual Apple reviewer.
Nearly every week we see examples of how stupid all of this is getting - from novels by published authors being rejected on the basis of use of 'the F word' being objectionable (where the F is a sensible rating system) to baby shaker being accepted (even if only briefly) to stupid rejection decisions of a Twitter app because a screencap showed profanity used within an individual tweet, which was also soon reversed.

Apple seems to me to be 100% making it up as they go along / flying by the seat of their pants etc.

Hopefully the huge amount of negative coverage the Baby Shaker app acceptance got may wake them up just a little ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
As long as they don't approve that dreadful SlingPlayer App, now that would be tasteless...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't think it can be said any better than Patrick stated it. It's a ridiculous, flawed, broken system that is subject to more and more internet ridicule every day, and they BETTER fix it if they want the Appstore to maintain the lead it has.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Funny, but inconsistent.

Apple loves flatulence apps.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Lots of thoughts:
Their 'process' - if it's even fair to call it one - is about as broken as any process could be
There seems a lot of evidence recently that in fact there is no process - there are no open, public guidelines to be used by Apple's reviewers and known to developers - one big huge grey area and approval / rejection decisions left to the judgment (and whims) of each individual Apple reviewer.
Nearly every week we see examples of how stupid all of this is getting - from novels by published authors being rejected on the basis of use of 'the F word' being objectionable (where the F is a sensible rating system) to baby shaker being accepted (even if only briefly) to stupid rejection decisions of a Twitter app because a screencap showed profanity used within an individual tweet, which was also soon reversed.

Apple seems to me to be 100% making it up as they go along / flying by the seat of their pants etc.

Hopefully the huge amount of negative coverage the Baby Shaker app acceptance got may wake them up just a little ...

That's true. I don't recall ever hearing, nor seeing an open public guideline for distributing apps. The logic is always an interesting situation. Just as you pointed out, where you have books that are not approved because of cuss word, yet an app that dipicts shaking a baby , though approved, was pulled from the app store after the public deemed it to be offensive. So again, quality control seems to be very inconsistent. Hope now, that will change. The resolve is simple. Apple need to have a public guidline to what apps they will approve and what apps they will allow to be distributed in the app store.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think they clearly need something like a ratings system (like those used for music / movies) as well. They need to get away from making individual judgments every time there's a swear word or sex scene in a book, or an app with 'racy' images of women etc ...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I think they clearly need something like a ratings system (like those used for music / movies) as well. They need to get away from making individual judgments every time there's a swear word or sex scene in a book, or an app with 'racy' images of women etc ...

Yeah things may get a little strict in the App Store...to issue is, just like you said, too many individual judgments, not a corporate judgment, but individual...apple need to step up the Q C...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it seems Apple doesn't want anything questionable at all, but that is clearly not possible for apps like tweeter. at the very least they need an "online experience not rated" disclaimer like xbox live.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I think it is a good thing to try and keep the MOST offensive material out of the store. The shaken baby game slipped through but was pulled after the attention it generated...ok...I can deal with that. Banning books because of swear words?....hmmm. Process could use some tweaking for sure. I think there will always be some controversy about what is acceptable vs rejected. Too many gray areas. Great post Styfie lol.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
There approval process is quite broken obviously, but unfortunately for us developers APPLE holds all the chips here!