Apple's cheap iPhone to be called iPhone 5C?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
It was the last phone he had input on so the S was for Steve ;)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I remember Phil Schiller saying that the S in the 3GS stood for speed, but I don't think Apple ever said what it stood for on the 4S. That was just speculation. It could be speed, Siri, a way to keep the naming scheme consecutive or something else.
Without a new definition for what the S stood for it is reasonable to conclude that the S still stands for the only definition Apple ever attributed to it; Speed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm pretty sure Tim Cook did in fact say the "S" in 4S was for Siri... I'll try to find a link...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Pretty good article with source regarding their naming conventions...

http://m.cultofmac.com/cultofmac/#!...s-products-iphone-4s,50ec9b6ad7fc7b5670e02056

"Apple names its products each generation by either a flagship feature or design change. When a certain product establishes itself, naming conventions are usually dropped altogether, like the iMac and iPod Shuffle.

“Lot of people ask me that about iPad,” Cook said. “If you look back at iPod, we had an iPod and we changed it a few times and we kept calling it iPod. When we announced a new one and we called it iPod Mini. When we changed it massively we called it Nano.”
The same goes for the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. You don’t say you own a “MacBook Air 3.”

“You can stick with the name and people generally love that, or you can put a number at the end which denotes the generation,” said Cook. “And if you keep the same industrial design, as in the case of the 4S, some people might say it stands for Siri or speed. We were thinking of Siri when we did it. For the 3GS we were thinking of speed.”
Link to a full transcript of the conference...

http://allthingsd.com/20120529/live-apple-ceo-tim-cooks-first-time-in-the-hot-seat-at-d/

Last edited:

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
During the Q&A session at D10 today Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked an interesting question about how his company names its products. While many have speculated as to why Apple called the fifth-generation iPhone the “4S” back in October, Cook confirmed that the smartphone was named after its flagship feature, Siri.

“And if you keep the same industrial design, as in the case of the 4S, some people might say it stands for Siri or speed. We were thinking of Siri when we did it. For the 3GS we were thinking of speed.”

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If the "C" pans out, I'm thinking it'll be for "color". iPhone 5 in every respect except you can also order it with a colored plastic backplate.

How is it an iPhone 5 if it looks nothing like a 5, has a cheap plastic casing instead of aluminum and likely has sub-par specs? Why even put 5 in the name? Oh yeah, because Apple's naming scheme makes no sense anymore. Carry on. :D
I suspect that they want to reference the number 5 to tie it to the processor and specs.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I remember Phil Schiller saying that the S in the 3GS stood for speed, but I don't think Apple ever said what it stood for on the 4S. That was just speculation. It could be speed, Siri, a way to keep the naming scheme consecutive or something else.
I stand corrected, I don't even know why I posted that? I clearly didn't proof read my post.

Let's just clear things up... Phil Schiller stated that the S in 3GS meant speed. Tim Cook, however, stated that the S stood for Siri. If you ask me, they need to get a grip of their naming strategies. If they call a new iPhone a 5C, they will get laughed at.

Sorry for the confusion!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I suspect that they want to reference the number 5 to tie it to the processor and specs.
I'm guessing that if they do make a cheap iPhone, it will have specs closer to the 4S.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I stand corrected, I don't even know why I posted that? I clearly didn't proof read my post.

Let's just clear things up... Phil Schiller stated that the S in 3GS meant speed. Tim Cook, however, stated that the S stood for Siri. If you ask me, they need to get a grip of their naming strategies. If they call a new iPhone a 5C, they will get laughed at.

Sorry for the confusion!
I agree with the naming strategy needing work. They called their 6th generation iPhone the iPhone 5.
Ah. Thanks. I remembered that no one said what the S in 4S stood for at WWDC. It looks like Tim Cook said it stood for Siri later in an interview, though.

becomingwater

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Florida
I bet it will be called something else. Even if they did sell as the iPhone 5s it would sell millions. Most will think of it as a way to have their phone protected and still have a nice phone. They could of made the cases and scraped them later which is why someone took a picture. Easily recycled plastic.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
3GS - S is for Speed.
4S - S is for Speed, Siri, and/or Steve.
5C - C is for Cookie. That's good enough for me.

lemoon

Bronze
Oct 28, 2010
According to a report and photo on iClarified's website, the low-cost iPhone will be called the 5C. Any thoughts?

http://www.iclarified.com/32293/lea...ly-reveals-iphone-5c-name-for-low-cost-iphone
iPhone 5c may destroy the Apple's brand. I'm not expecting to it. Anyway, it may be liked by many people with midian income. And I also saw a news about 5c shared by Enolsoft on Google+. It's about The iPhone 5C: Is the 'C' for color or cheap? If the C is for color I will like it!

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
The S stands for Super, you silly peasants!

I really hope this 5C thing is a load of C. Crap.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the only reason the "cheap" would make sense is if Apple is planning to kill off the 4S a year ahead of their usual phase-out, and maybe even along with the regular 5. Then they would only have the next-gen iPhone(s) and the 5C. If they could give away the 5C for free with a contract, that would be pretty awesome. That would be a whole generation leap in their $0/$100/$299 price structure - last year they started offering the 4 for free, and maybe this year it'll be the 5C for free (skipping the 4S completely).

to explain graphically...

2012:
$0 - iPhone 4
$99 - iPhone 4S
$299 - iPhone 5

$0 - iPhone 5"C"
$99 - ?
$299 - ?

An iPhone 5"C" (assuming same internals as iPhone 5) at that price point would completely destroy any similarly-priced Android.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
the only reason the "cheap" would make sense is if Apple is planning to kill off the 4S a year ahead of their usual phase-out, and maybe even along with the regular 5. Then they would only have the next-gen iPhone(s) and the 5C. If they could give away the 5C for free with a contract, that would be pretty awesome. That would be a whole generation leap in their $0/$100/$299 price structure - last year they started offering the 4 for free, and maybe this year it'll be the 5C for free (skipping the 4S completely).

to explain graphically...

2012:
$0 - iPhone 4
$99 - iPhone 4S
$299 - iPhone 5

$0 - iPhone 5"C"
$99 - ?
$299 - ?

An iPhone 5"C" (assuming same internals as iPhone 5) at that price point would completely destroy any similarly-priced Android.
If the specs are the same as the 4S, and it seems to me they would be if they plan on giving it away for free with contract, it doesn't make sense other than that they could phase out 30 pin connectors faster. If the specs are the same as the 5, they could make it a little cheaper with plastic casing, but it would have to cost them $100 less to make to be cost effective since that's (probably) what the 5 will cost when the 5S comes out. I'm not sure they can save that much by using a cheaper casing, but if they can, what you're saying does make sense. However, I still think a large-screen iPhone would be a more profitable investment for them.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm not sure they can save that much by using a cheaper casing, but if they can, what you're saying does make sense. However, I still think a large-screen iPhone would be a more profitable investment for them.
Me neither, but stranger things have happened. And they make enough margin on those phones for some pricing wiggle room. Heck, they reduced the price of the original iPhone by $200 only 3 months after its release. I doubt it'll happen too. Just something that I was thinking about.

None of this really has anything to do with releasing or not releasing a bigger iPhone. They could easily do both.