Apple's excellent bug reporter for iOS and all of its products

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's been quite a while since I've reported a bug to Apple. I was taken by surprise by the simplicity and attractiveness of their Bug Reporter site. I don't know how long it's looked this way, but I certainly don't recall seeing such a nice site last time I reported a bug to Apple.

https://bugreport.apple.com

It has the look and feel of a modern webmail site, and this one site will allow you to report bugs you encounter while using a variety of Apple products, including iOS, OS X, OS X Server, Safari for OS X, iTunes, and even the Bug Reporter itself. Check out the screenshot below.

bugreporter.jpg (thumbnail; click to expand)

The icons haven't been updated to the "flat" Yosemite look yet. I think I will make that my first bug report. :D

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just noticed it a couple weeks ago and used it to report the Safari freezing bug. You actually get replies from Apple when using this method, too. I reported it on Apple's feedback site (which gives you the option of reporting a bug among other things) as well as on the Bug Reporter. They followed up with me on the Bug Reporter, asked some questions and then reported this morning to me that the bug was a duplicate of another bug (probably the shortcut freeze bug) and that it's now closed. I've never gotten any sort of feedback when I've used their feedback site, so I will continue to use the Bug Reporter since it worked out so well in this instance. I just wish I had reported it sooner. I dealt with it since the iPhone 6 launch day. Maybe, just maybe, they would have patched the bug in 8.1 if I had reported it sooner and provided links for the other people who were reporting it on Macrumors and the Apple forum.

#2 Europa, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I hate the flat look. It looks cheap to me. It reminds me of a stroll through the dollar store. I prefer textures and shadows. I want the look of iOS 6 with the features of iOS 7 and 8.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're missing the point. This is a great feature and it works very well for its purpose - bug reporting and feedback on bug reporting. How often are you going to go to the bug reporter anyway?

As far as the look goes, I completely disagree with you. I moved on from iOS 6 a long time ago. I think the bug reporter looks clean and nice. That said, I really don't care what it looks like as long as it functions well. I'm thrilled with how it works. It's just a bonus that it looks great.

5. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

It's just a bug reporting page. No need for textures/shadows etc. Just MHO. :)

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The report page looks fine. I was carrying on with Rafagon.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You said it looks cheap and like a dollar store. It's a public forum, so anticipate replies from people other than who you quoted.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

"It" was the flat look, not the report page. He was talking about the icons on his screen. He said they needed to be flat. I liked them as they were. It was an opinion about the "flat look". Others may not agree with me. But many do.