Apple's first ever battery pack for iPhone - $99

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Rafagon, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple is now selling its Smart Battery Case for $99.

From the product page at apple.com: "Charge your iPhone and battery case simultaneously for increased talk time up to 25 hours, Internet use up to 18 hours on LTE, and even longer audio and video playback. With the Smart Battery Case on, the intelligent battery status is displayed on the iPhone Lock screen and in Notification Center, so you know exactly how much charge you have left."

This device is not available for the iPhone 6s Plus, only for the 6s. Also, Apple has not shared details on the capacity of the device in mAh.

A popular tech site reports that "users of last year's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 model may be able to use the new case due to its design similarities to the iPhone 6s." Apparently this is not officially guaranteed by Apple.

Update: According to The Verge, "The Apple Smart Battery Case has a 1,877mAh battery pack." You can find The Verge's fairly thorough review here, and I've included the video version immediately below.

#1 Rafagon, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

#2 Rafagon, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I find the iOS integration is quite nice, but I also find the lack of a version for the 6s Plus to be a short-sighted decision. But then again, they would probably charge $50 extra for it.

Good thing Mophie has that covered.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nah. The 6s Plus already has great battery life. Few people would be interested in that.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's hard for me to find a situation where I would need something like this. My 6s Plus gets about 11+ hours usage time. I received an iFrogz portable 3,000 mAh charger from AT&T as a gift. I have Verizon. LOL. I have yet to figure out when I might use it.

7. Alex Spieth

Alex Spieth New Member

I bet Mophie are real happy. I've got a Plus and can confirm that I'd never use it, though I don't think it's that ugly.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Hello everyone! So I ended up getting the apple battery case and after a day of use I'm selling my mophie. The texture is great, the design that's being called ugly doesn't bother me because when I hold the case it feels so slim compared to the mophie! So far LOVE this battery case!