Apple's iPhone to have glass display, better battery life

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JHMirage

May 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Both of these announcements are huge, and the battery information in particular will address one of the biggest remaining rumors floating around the net. (Thanks, Dvorak, you hack.)

I'm looking forward to more of these little tidbits every couple days over the next couple weeks. I'll bet we get final information on plan pricing and other AT&T details a week from today.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Both of these announcements are huge, and the battery information in particular will address one of the biggest remaining rumors floating around the net. (Thanks, Dvorak, you hack.)

I'm looking forward to more of these little tidbits every couple days over the next couple weeks. I'll bet we get final information on plan pricing and other AT&T details a week from today.
Well, I know for a fact that the battery length time publicized by manufacturers is one thing and the actual talk time is something else. Battery life can be affected by so many different things that it's hard to say what the actual life cycle will be.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I noticed that it didn't differentiate between EDGE internet use and WiFi internet use... it just says "Internet Use" 6 hours. WiFi typically uses more battery than EDGE. WiFi battery life is similar to the 3G battery life use in most of my testing, which is far less than EDGE battery life. So I wonder if what is posted is best case or worst case battery life?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I noticed that it didn't differentiate between EDGE internet use and WiFi internet use... it just says "Internet Use" 6 hours. WiFi typically uses more battery than EDGE. WiFi battery life is similar to the 3G battery life use in most of my testing, which is far less than EDGE battery life. So I wonder if what is posted is best case or worst case battery life?
Check out the Apple iPhone Tech Specs page for some clarification.

Also, see this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Taken from etrade (Marketwatch, San Francisco):

Battery time is always an issue with any handheld media player or cell phone. As many devices are used, their batteries are known for being less able to hold charges for as long as when the products were first purchased.

Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research, sounded a note of skepticism about Apple's latest battery times. In an interview Monday, he said "sources have indicated [the] iPhone's active use battery life may be closer to about four-to-five hours," for heavy use similar to that of so-called smartphones.

Wu said that because an iPhone will also serve as an iPod, unless Apple's claims are accurate, "four-to-five hours of video playback [for example] might not be enough. We will find out in a few weeks."

eweber

Jun 18, 2007
From the Apple website, here are the test conditions for the battery usage:

1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
Talk Time: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. All talk time testing was done connected to a 1900MHz network. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
Standby: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
Internet over WiFi: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. Internet over WiFi testing conducted using a closed network and dedicated web and mail server, simulating browsing to 20 popular URLs and checking mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, WiFi connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary. Internet over EDGE: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. Internet over EDGE testing conducted over a 1900 MHz EDGE, using a dedicated web and mail server, simulating browsing to 20 popular URLs and checking mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, EDGE connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
Video Playback: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. Video content was a repeated 2 hour 23 minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
Audio Playback: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks, a combination of content imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and content purchased from the iTunes Store (128-Kbps AAC encoding). All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Regards,

Eric Weber
www.sightmax.com
Live Chat for your Website

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
well isn't this a great way to wake up, see that the iPhone will have one sweet battery and a glass face! (im a little worried about dropping it but we will see)

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
The glass will prevent scratches big time. The battery life is comparable to a Treo with an aftermarket battery, which is GREAT! Again, Apple comes up with a great idea and I am looking forward to getting this into my hands.