Apple's most interesting Patents

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Hey Guys.

I love to follow the patents Apple apply for as it could be an indication as to what we see them coming out with next. I've pulled a few links to some interesting ones.

I thought it would make for interesting conversation! :p

No hostility please :)

http://mashable.com/2011/01/17/apple-patents/
http://www.mad4mobilephones.com/the-21-most-important-iphone-patents/562/
http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-is-granted-its-first-liquidmetal-patent-exclusive/75486

And this is why a 4.7" display on an iPhone is BAD.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/02/this-...5-would-measure-up-against-3-5-inch-iphone-4/

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
My uncle has a HP which is also a touch-screen. Let me tell you, I loved it. You think they are crap because they're resistive, but with the attached pen they're awesome to work with. I remember using the "hand-write" feature on MSN rather than "keyboard" and it was great. It was also awesome to work with on Photohshop, Paint, etc.

The screen was, which I assume like your sister's, rotate-able and you could turn the laptop into a tablet easily.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
My uncle has a HP which is also a touch-screen. Let me tell you, I loved it. You think they are crap because they're resistive, but with the attached pen they're awesome to work with. I remember using the "hand-write" feature on MSN rather than "keyboard" and it was great. It was also awesome to work with on Photohshop, Paint, etc.

The screen was, which I assume like your sister's, rotate-able and you could turn the laptop into a tablet easily.
I have heard the laptops are great. However my sisters PC is a desktop.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

But you're an African White Space Christ. Who listens to you?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
That will happen for sure. I would bet money on it. My sister has a £400 windows PC that is touchscreen. Apple will do it eventually. I must say the touchscreen is crap and that is probably why we haven't seen a touchscreen iMac yet. They are perfecting.
Desktop touch screen is crap because it uses either resistive or surface wave technology. Capacitive screens in this size are cost prohibitive. I think maybe the POS systems in retail use capacitive but that's a businesss justification.

They don't actually build screens. I think Samsung or LG is their supplier.

Anyway, I'd say Apple is just waiting for the price to become reasonable. Likely a touch MBP since they've got volume in this market to maybe leverage the supply chain.

A touch iMac at 20"+, I highly doubt for quite some time, especially as Apple does not dictate on these components.

fyi: lots of room for digs here. I think I refrained from any such comments. <nudge-wink>

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Desktop touch screen is crap because it uses either resistive or surface wave technology. Capacitive screens in this size are cost prohibitive. I think maybe the POS systems in retail use capacitive but that's a businesss justification.

They don't actually build screens. I think Samsung or LG is their supplier.

Anyway, I'd say Apple is just waiting for the price to become reasonable. Likely a touch MBP since they've got volume in this market to maybe leverage the supply chain.

A touch iMac at 20"+, I highly doubt for quite some time, especially as Apple does not dictate on these components.

fyi: lots of room for digs here. I think I refrained from any such comments. <nudge-wink>

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
I'm not sure where a dig would be appropriate here, but carry on.