Apple's New App Podcasts

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by danbrumit, Jun 26, 2012.

1. danbrumit

danbrumit Member
    Bronze

#1 danbrumit, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

3. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Immediate download! I was sick of listening to podcasts in the iTunes app - it is simply not meant for the regular podcast user.

4. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

A separate Podcasts app was sorely needed, but I'm hoping Apple improves this.

I don't quite understand why Apple thought it would be smart to have podcasts auto play from the top down. All new episodes for daily shows, at least the ones I've checked, have new episodes listed at the top. So if you start at the second oldest, after it's finished playing it moves on to the third oldest instead of the next episode.

There is the sleep function, which is nice, but you have to set that up each time which is an extra step and for someone who listens to podcasts throughout the day it gets to be very tedious.

Either let us stop autoplay globally with a setting, or make autoplay go in chronological order.

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Downloaded the app and your podcast. I never miss it, unfortunately I typically don't catch it live, but I always listen and enjoy both you and Marianne.

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I was really excited about this app but unfortunately it doesn't work on my iPad 3rd gen or my iPod touch 4th gen. Whenever I subscribe to podcasts they don't play streaming and I can't download it either, I get an error message saying that the podcast could not be downloaded at this time. And strangely I can watch and listen to the top podcasts but I don't have any interest in them so the podcasts app is currently broken on my device. I have also deleted and reinstalled the app and it is still broken any ideas on how to fix it would be great.

7. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Haven't noticed any of these issues on my iPod Touch 4G. I got my subscribed podcasts transferred over to the Podcasts app automatically and all episodes I listened to downloaded/streamed okay. I further tested the app by going to Top Stations > Catalog, and looking for a new Station, subscribed to it and downloaded the latest episodes without a hitch.

Is it possible that the station that the Station(s) you were trying to subscribe to were broken?

What I love with this app is that it finally shows you the information full title for each episode - something absolutely basic which was not accessible from the Music app under podcasts.

8. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Mathew Connelly Well the podcasts work fine in iTunes and direct from cnet's apps and websites so I don't believe anything with the podcast is broken since it works in other places on my iDevices.

9. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Could you PM me a link to any of the podcasts with which you have the issue? I will try them out on my device using the Podcasts app and let you know the outcome.

10. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Okay Mathew Connelly, I sent you the PM with links to the podcasts that don't work.

11. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I'm not impressed with the Podcast app. The app freezes quite frequently when I initially open the app and need to shut it down atleast twice before It works.

12. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Smarty2600, got the links. None of them worked on the Podcast app my iPhone - all three seem to be legit podcast stations. Nothing wrong with them - was even able to load them in iTunes on my computer and subscribe there. Not on the iPhone though "not a valid podcast" it says. Seems like an app bug to me.

13. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Well thanks for taking a look at the app links Mathew Connelly. I'll to check out downcast then, I have heard good things about that podcast app. I wish Apple wouldn't rush releases and come out with a crappy app instead of waiting a few months to release something that functioned.

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

better.

SECONDED!

I wish this thing had at least the option to sort the playlist/order of segments to be played. I do most of my listening while walking the dogs. It's a real pain to have to fumble with my iPhone while trying to pick up poop from the Guys and juggling two leashes all at the same time.
    YMMV

15. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Finally Apple updated their app and now all the podcasts I've tried to watch have worked and played just fine. So I guess the lesson is to wait until the eventual bug fixes update.

16. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Looks like the app runs smoother now - although it still lags between screens and I don't yet see a possibility to delete a podcast from the listed in library - only unsubscribe option.

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Tried Podcasts, but it was entirely devoid of all the functionality I use...playlists, double speed video, downloading over cellular, sorting by oldest first, etc. About the only idea I like about it is that in theory it'll sync your position between each device, which is a great idea for which I was strongly considering figuring out how to develop my own podcast app.

I'm glad Podcaster works again in iOS 6 beta 4 (it broke in 3), i was seriously going through withdrawals without my podcasts :p sadly, the fact that it works now means I will probably not be motivated to develop my own until Podcaster breaks again.