Apple's next product line?

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
what do you think about Apple producing a camera/camcorder
they have imovie and iphoto but no Apple products to use the programs
yes the iPhone uses iphoto but the pictures are not great, just wanting to get your thoughts/opinions about this issue.

another question i have, is, i am thinking about purchasing a new camera and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. thanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You never know what Apple has up their sleeve on new products. The iPhone was in the thought process since 1999.
As far as cameras go, are you looking for a point and shoot or a DSLR?

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
You never know what Apple has up their sleeve on new products. The iPhone was in the thought process since 1999.
As far as cameras go, are you looking for a point and shoot or a DSLR?
um whats the difference, i am new to the camera scene. i am not wanting to spend a lot of money though

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
um whats the difference, i am new to the camera scene. i am not wanting to spend a lot of money though
OK. Then you want what is called a point and shoot. These are the cameras you find at Best Buy,Target, ect.
There are many good ones on the market. I would look for something in the 4-5 megapixel range. You really don't need anything more unless you are looking to make enlargements bigger than 8X10. If you stick with a name brand you will be OK. All have pretty much the same features. Just look for one that you like best.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'd be surprised if they delved into cameras. Their more recent products are created to drive iTunes sales. iPod, AppleTV, iPhone and of course computers. Before you say iPhoto, most brands work perfectly well and they do not need to create a market. Plus, I don't think they make that much on photo sales. It's Kodak who is behind the curtain and Apple probably takes a small cut. Plus, you can print your photos anywhere.

Now talk about iTunes sales, that's a serious revenue stream. First there was music, then movies (and of course TV) and now there will be apps. The sale isn't over when you buy an Apple product. You've bought the razor, now it's time to buy the disposable blades.

The next device should fit that mold. Something that drives all of this.

That being said, expect your iPhone v5 to most likely replace your digital camera. For now, the camera manufacturers are safe.:p

-Chris

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
OK. Then you want what is called a point and shoot. These are the cameras you find at Best Buy,Target, ect.
There are many good ones on the market. I would look for something in the 4-5 megapixel range. You really don't need anything more unless you are looking to make enlargements bigger than 8X10. If you stick with a name brand you will be OK. All have pretty much the same features. Just look for one that you like best.
alright, thanks, and just 4-5 megapixels not 8? because the more the clearer the picture correct? and like canon or nikon kodak? any other good brands?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Great advice. You do not need anything more than a 5 megapixel. Look for something that has some sort of stabilization. I think that makes a big difference. For my money, you cannot go wrong with a Canon.

You can find a slew of reviews at DPReview.com

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
That being said, expect your iPhone v5 to most likely replace your digital camera. For now, the camera manufacturers are safe.:p
Haha alright

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
alright, thanks, and just 4-5 megapixels not 8? because the more the clearer the picture correct? and like canon or nikon kodak? any other good brands?
Unless you are blowing up your photos to poster size, you will not notice the difference. You are better off with a name brand 5 megapixel than an off brand 8 megapixel camera. Do not get caught up in the megapixel marketing -- in many ways, that's exactly what it is...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
One final note, be sure to check the price of the removable media. Sony cameras that use Memory Sticks will be more costly (at least the last time I checked). Be sure to check the price on memory cards, before you buy.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Especially in a P/S camera, more megapixels just allows you to make bigger enlargements. And the brands you mention are all good. I am partial to Nikon, but canon certainly makes good ones too.
As Chris said, stabilization is a good feature to look for. What this does is compensate for camera shake and helps with sharper images.

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
One final note, be sure to check the price of the removable media. Sony cameras that use Memory Sticks will be more costly (at least the last time I checked). Be sure to check the price on memory cards, before you buy.
alright, thanks, do you know anything about how much zoom is needed? i saw one canon it had i think 4x optical zoom, is this good or do you want more zoom and what does this mean? thanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Good point Chris. Memory Sticks can be costly, but the majority of cameras use SD cards. These are cheaper but still reliable. Right off, the only camera I know of that uses Memory Sticks is Sony. I'm sure there are others.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
alright, thanks, do you know anything about how much zoom is needed? i saw one canon it had i think 4x optical zoom, is this good or do you want more zoom and what does this mean? thanks
On these type cameras, don't be too concerned about zoom. If you zoom too much, the picture becomes grainy. You will be better off cropping the picture to make it look like you used the zoom.

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
alright thank you for all your help what do you think about this camera
Canon Powershot A590IS

it has received good reviews and it has a stabilizer so i was just wondering, thanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
alright thank you for all your help what do you think about this camera
Canon Powershot A590IS

it has received good reviews and it has a stabilizer so i was just wondering, thanks
Yeah, that looks great. You will also want to think about getting 2 sets of rechargeable batteries. Camera's go through regular batteries like crazy. Rechargeable ones last a lot longer, but I still like to carry a spare set. Nothing worse than being out and lose some shots because your only set died.
Photography is a fun hobby. Enjoy. The thing about digital is you can take as many pic as you want unlike the old film cameras where you knew each shot was costing you money. And if you take a pic and it is not good you can delete right on the spot.

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah, that looks great. You will also want to think about getting 2 sets of rechargeable batteries. Camera's go through regular batteries like crazy. Rechargeable ones last a lot longer, but I still like to carry a spare set. Nothing worse than being out and lose some shots because your only set died.
Photography is a fun hobby. Enjoy. The thing about digital is you can take as many pic as you want unlike the old film cameras where you knew each shot was costing you money. And if you take a pic and it is not good you can delete right on the spot.
alright well i ended up picking up the camera today, i love it, there is only one thing, after taking a picture it will either, go right into letting me take another or it will go black for a couple of seconds, an orange status like will flash and then it will let me take another picture, just wondering if this is normal for digital cameras and if you have any idea of why this is happening, if not that is cool i was just wondering.
Thank you

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
alright well i ended up picking up the camera today, i love it, there is only one thing, after taking a picture it will either, go right into letting me take another or it will go black for a couple of seconds, an orange status like will flash and then it will let me take another picture, just wondering if this is normal for digital cameras and if you have any idea of why this is happening, if not that is cool i was just wondering.
Thank you
If I'm not mistaken, it's writing it to a memory card. I'm not sure why it'd do it some times and not others, however.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I hope Apple's take a step into the videogame market. . .I seriously think that if the iPhone can kill competetion in one year, what could a "AppleBox" do to the videogaming world:eek:
-I'd sell my xbox 360 to get this if it were to ever become reality :)

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Another important feature that people do not consider when buying a camera is the shutter speed. I learned the hard way a few weeks before iDay V1. I purchased a Sony cam to take better pics of my 2 yr old and her lil butt wouldn't sit still. Thats when I learned about shutter speeds. Research that, its just as important as mp's