Apples Proprietary "Lock Em Out" days are numbered....

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Tomorrow will be 7 days.

Something else tells me even if someone does manage to unlock it, that will not be the end of the game. I think there a few tricks left up Apple's sleeves that may become evident in the future.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Tomorrow will be 7 days.

Something else tells me even if someone does manage to unlock it, that will not be the end of the game. I think there a few tricks left up Apple's sleeves that may become evident in the future.
The best thing that Apple could do, is give up, and join the winners.

Just like they did with the MacBook Pro.

The hackers made windows run on it and Apple caved in, created Boot Camp and the rest is history. Good history.

Apple just doesn't get it. They would sell so much more if they would drop the attitude.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Tomorrow will be 7 days.

What you guys don't realize, is Apple probably won't care if anyone unlocks the phone. They still have a contract with AT&T to provide service to them. If it's unlocked, if anything, they'll just sell MORE units.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Tomorrow will be 7 days.

One thing that has been mentioned is Apple may release an update that undoes much of the progess that has been made, or makes it even harder.

Ljp

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I agree, depending on the obligations Apple has to fix it, Apple won't really care, but AT&T will care a whole lot.

I wonder what the agreement between them says about Apple being required to upgrade/fix the software on the phone if and when the hackers unlock it. That would be interesting to read.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I'm sure att would be royally pissed

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007

The hackers made windows run on it and Apple caved in, created Boot Camp and the rest is history. Good history.

Apple just doesn't get it. They would sell so much more if they would drop the attitude.
This just doesn't make sense to me. One of the major major reasons that I prefer Apples is OSX. So to put Windoze on it just ruins the equation for me. Also, even if you unlock the iPhone and use it on another network, there will probably be some things that just won't work, such as Visual Voicemail.

IceTrAiN

Bronze

I'd laugh so hard if Apple and AT&T have some sort of handshake that is required in order to make the phone work, and these people are trying to unlock it only to find out it's all for nill. But then again... I've done things "just because I could" also, so who am I to talk.. heh :cool: