Apple's "Secrecy" rant...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I'm sorry, but I am getting really sick of Apple and their secrecy game. I don't care what anyone says, consumers should have some idea of what is going on behind the product they just invested 600 dollars on.

Before the iPhone came out, we hardly new anything. I had a lot of questions, and unfortunately, I had no answers. So when I came home with my iPhone and found out that there were a ton of bugs and small little features missing (like Copy/Paste, no continuing alerts, etc), I was highly disappointed.

Now, almost 3 weeks later, after almost every single user has complained about something, Apple is silent. We have been returning up to 7 iPhones for battery problems, screen problems, low volumes, and crashing, all of which can be fixed with a software update. But has Apple calmed our fears? Nope, we still have no idea if/when an update will come out to fix these notorious problems.

Before anyone tells me that no company releases this info, you're wrong. I own a Xbox 360, and I know WELL in advance what MS plans to add in the spring updates. Sony also releases information on what they plan to address in future updates for the PS3. MS also releases what they are planning on fixing in Windows SP's, and other software. Many companies address problems, and let their customers know that a fix is in the works.

I really like my iPhone, but I am getting really annoyed at Apple. There is NO reason to leave your customers in the dark about substantial problems.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
This is the way Apple does things, so get used to it. They don't announce ANYTHING until they are good and ready to.

And you act as though it's Apple's fault you didn't do your homework before plunking down $600. You could have easily waited, instead of HAVING to buy it on DAY ONE, and gone into a store and demo'ed the product before you purchased it.

SO many people went into Apple Stores on iPhone Friday and whipped out their credit card instead of asking questions or at least TRYING the device. My brother works for an Apple Store, and we talked about how amazing it was that 99% of people who came in the first day didn't even ask one question.

It's called American Entitlement Syndrome. Somehow you feel like you DESERVE something. Well, guess what? You don't. You buy it day one without doing an ounce of research, find it doesn't do what you want, and then decide it's someone elses fault.

Return it if you don't like it.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm sorry, but I am getting really sick of Apple and their secrecy game. I don't care what anyone says, consumers should have some idea of what is going on behind the product they just invested 600 dollars on.

Before the iPhone came out, we hardly new anything. I had a lot of questions, and unfortunately, I had no answers. So when I came home with my iPhone and found out that there were a ton of bugs and small little features missing (like Copy/Paste, no continuing alerts, etc), I was highly disappointed.

Now, almost 3 weeks later, after almost every single user has complained about something, Apple is silent. We have been returning up to 7 iPhones for battery problems, screen problems, low volumes, and crashing, all of which can be fixed with a software update. But has Apple calmed our fears? Nope, we still have no idea if/when an update will come out to fix these notorious problems.

Before anyone tells me that no company releases this info, you're wrong. I own a Xbox 360, and I know WELL in advance what MS plans to add in the spring updates. Sony also releases information on what they plan to address in future updates for the PS3. MS also releases what they are planning on fixing in Windows SP's, and other software. Many companies address problems, and let their customers know that a fix is in the works.

I really like my iPhone, but I am getting really annoyed at Apple. There is NO reason to leave your customers in the dark about substantial problems.

I just don't understand why there are so many people with so much discontent for the phone. I love it. I'm not an Apple fanboy. I've owned a couple iPods, but who hasn't? I've never owned a MAC, and I actually talked sh*t to my friend in high school, that worked with them, exclusively.
What I don't get is why everyone is so unhappy with it.....even though there are a few things people really want, that were left out, I'm still greatly happy with the device. I've owned 3 different smart phones in the past, so it's not like I'm some "PDA NEWB" or something like that. I just think it is an amazing device, for what it is.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
This is the way Apple does things, so get used to it. They don't announce ANYTHING until they are good and ready to.

And you act as though it's Apple's fault you didn't do your homework before plunking down $600. You could have easily waited, instead of HAVING to buy it on DAY ONE, and gone into a store and demo'ed the product before you purchased it.

SO many people went into Apple Stores on iPhone Friday and whipped out their credit card instead of asking questions or at least TRYING the device. My brother works for an Apple Store, and we talked about how amazing it was that 99% of people who came in the first day didn't even ask one question.

It's called American Entitlement Syndrome. Somehow you feel like you DESERVE something. Well, guess what? You don't. You buy it day one without doing an ounce of research, then your only option is to complain or return.
I don't get why people take this view. Why are you defending Apple? There should be enough information out there for people to BE ABLE to do their homework on. Yes, I knew it supported WiFi and Bluetooth. I knew it only had EDGE, and not 3G support, but I had NO IDEA that the Calendar couldn't sync notes or To-Do's when iCal natively supports these. All we had was a 3 sentence description of what we could do with some of the apps, and 2 of the sentences were useless.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I just don't understand why there are so many people with so much discontent for the phone. I love it. I'm not an Apple fanboy. I've owned a couple iPods, but who hasn't? I've never owned a MAC, and I actually talked sh*t to my friend in high school, that worked with them, exclusively.
What I don't get is why everyone is so unhappy with it.....even though there are a few things people really want, that were left out, I'm still greatly happy with the device. I've owned 3 different smart phones in the past, so it's not like I'm some "PDA NEWB" or something like that. I just think it is an amazing device, for what it is.
I am not unhappy with the phone. I am unhappy with having to return 4 iPhones because of problems, which could be addressed in a software update, but I have no idea when, or if, these problems will actually be addressed.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I don't get why people take this view. Why are you defending Apple? There should be enough information out there for people to BE ABLE to do their homework on. Yes, I knew it supported WiFi and Bluetooth. I knew it only had EDGE, and not 3G support, but I had NO IDEA that the Calendar couldn't sync notes or To-Do's when iCal natively supports these. All we had was a 3 sentence description of what we could do with some of the apps, and 2 of the sentences were useless.
And once you discovered you couldn't do the stuff, you can do one of two things. Wait for an update, or return it.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I know you are mad and feel neglected by Apple but thats the way it is. I aint an Apple fan Ive owned 1 iPod and now this iPhone.. its version 1.0 have trust and patience they will fix whats wrong..

I have my dislikes and my complaints but its a very nice phone and over all like it a lot and am very happy with it

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
You could have demo'ed it in the store. You could have asked questions at the store. You could have waited instead of deciding you HAD TO HAVE IT on day one.

My view is simple. I *knew* when I bought it I was getting a first generation device and there'd be little issues. I take responsibility for the fact that I decided to buy it without asking questions in the store. I'm not expecting Apple to change their whole corporate model because I didn't demo the phone before handing over my money.

Apple has ALWAYS done things this way. They announce something when they are good and ready to announce it, and not 1 minute before. It works for them. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean they are going to change it.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Just because a product doesn't live up to your lofty expectations, doesn't mean the company making that product has done anything wrong.

No copy/paste? The Motorola Q - a workhorse for many businesss users - still doesn't have that feature. Bugs? This is the first mobile phone from Apple. Ever. Comparatively speaking, this device is light years ahead of almost everything else on the market, and it's only their first offering.

Battery problems, screen problems, volume problems, blah, blah, blah. If you've truly gone through 7 phones, then I think what you have is a bad case of buyer's remorse, and not 7 defective phones. Bottom line: if you're looking to find something wrong, you're always going to find it. Microsoft and Sony constantly have to put people's minds at ease by telling them about updates & bug fixes, because many times the products they release are so buggy and unstable that they'd never have the confidence of the buying public if they didn't. And I'm a MS user, so don't think I'm some Apple loyalist.

It sounds to me like you've never owned a smartphone before. If you had, I don't think you'd be anywhere near as critical of the iPhone as you're being. I had every Treo model from the 600 to the 750, and they were the most unstable, buggy, unreliable, clunky pieces of junk I've ever used. I honestly don't know how I ever tolerated them. I'm not saying the iPhone is absolutely perfect, but you bought a brand new piece of technology from a company that has never offered anything like this before. For a first effort, I'd say they far exceeded expectations. At least most people's expectations.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
For a first effort, I'd say they far exceeded expectations. At least most people's expectations.
IAWTP.
They have far exceeded mine, and I had high hopes. People still don't seem to understand the phone's "plan of attack". It's not to "do everything".... it's to "do what it does, WELL".

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

i actually understand your concern and agree with most of what you say. But like the others say--we know how Apple is and how they keep things on the hush. I played with a phone for about an hour in the Apple store the day after iDay while my lady was shopping at the mall. Before the iPhone was released, i was a Treo loyalist and vowed not to get an iPhone and laughed at those who wanted one. Upon picking it up, immediately I figured out it couldn't do MMS which my Moto Q on Sprint also didn't do..not too big a deal. I figured out you weren't able to use your songs as ringtones right off the bat. That was disappointing as well but I knew both of these things could be fixed through updates. There is a temporary fix for ringtones however that you can search for until Apple gives us a less tedious way of doing this (Thanks WJP09). Copy/Paste, lack of A2DP, synching notes, etc. is disappointing indeed. However after playing with the phone in the store I just had to have one and was convinced it was better than my treo despite the shortcomings. I'm not going to flame on Apple because their track record has shown that are going to work to make their device better for their customers. I wholeheartedly believe most of the functions everyone is upset about will at some point appear on the iPhone. I understand your concern about battery life, crashes, etc. Fortunately I have not had a single problem with my phone. Battery life is excellent (another Q reference-go use a Q and you will never complain about battery life again). Safari crashes every now and then-but it only takes you to the home screen and you can open it right back up. Most WM phones i've used or even Palm OS phones, when you have a crash it usually freezes your phone or makes it painstakingly unstable. Yes I hate wondering over and over how long it will take Apple to fix some of the issues and add some of the basic features. But I'll still take solace in the fact that i have probably the most enjoyable phone that is on the market right now. Anything else they add to it is just a bonus.

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

I understand your pain...I did see the Apple store employees holding a gun to your head and shouting "BUY IT OR DIE"...If I were you I would file a class action law suite.

BTW- For all you morons who returned an iPhone "7 Times"...SHAME ON YOU!

We are all paying extra for every item we purchase because of this stupid practice.

I bought 2 iPhones at launch, no they are not perfect but I am very pleased with both. I have not returned either one...they work great and are exactly what I expected because I researched before I bought.
One of mine has the 7 screen and one has the 5 screen. They both look different, but since I never turn the brightness up to 100% and hold the screen at an odd unnatural angle and look at it with a magnifiing glass I really don't see why I would need to exchange the 7 screen. Used as intended (as a phone and ipod) it looks great and functions well. I also have understand that Apple will release updates to add functions and fix bugs

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
As already noted, you discovered these things because you raced out and bought one before you played with one. You didn't wait to see reviews of the product after it was on the street a few days, you simply ran into line, got one then started bitching that you're so disappointed.

You have/had 14 days to return your disappointment... apparently you didn't. That means you're happy enough with it to keep it and not get your $600 back.

I waited 3 days and surfed the web reading reviews by people with the phones. I knew many of the bigger issues going into this before I bought my phone. Guess what, I'm happy with it because I knew what I was buying.

Did anyone here say "the iPhone will be flawless"? No, more people said that it's likely to have bugs given it's a 1.0 device. As a matter of fact, this is just plain common knowledge.

Now, go get back in line and wait for the updates like the rest of us.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I am not unhappy with the phone. I am unhappy with having to return 4 iPhones because of problems, which could be addressed in a software update, but I have no idea when, or if, these problems will actually be addressed.
Umm, here's a silly question; if you know the problem with the phones you are returning is related to the software, why do you keep waisting your time returning them? Do you think you're going to get different software on your next exchange? Perhaps you think you'll get a different chip set than the one found in your previous phones? What in the world are you hoping to gain from doing this?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
We are all paying extra for every item we purchase because of this stupid practice.
I so agree with you... and I find it VERY Hard to believe that anyone actually got SEVEN bad iPhones that truly warranted an exchange.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I understand your pain...I did see the Apple store employees holding a gun to your head and shouting "BUY IT OR DIE"...If I were you I would file a class action law suite.

oops sorry. I returned a 4GB for an 8GB. They were out of 8's when i got my 4GB but i just couldn't wait a day longer to get my hands on one. I'm sure my return is somewhat understandable though :cool:

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Manufactures are not allowed to re-sell a returned product as new...it must be sold as "refurbished" or used in their exchange pool. Therefore all manufactures have a cost factored into the retail price to cover these returns.

It really pisses me off when I read about these fools who return the same product 3 and 4 times...7 times thats just insane.

If you received 7 defective products in a row, its time to buy a lottery ticket...or better yet go to the doctor and have him remove the stick up your ass and the dark cloud hanging over your head.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Umm, here's a silly question; if you know the problem with the phones you are returning is related to the software, why do you keep waisting your time returning them? Do you think you're going to get different software on your next exchange? Perhaps you think you'll get a different chip set than the one found in your previous phones? What in the world are you hoping to gain from doing this?
This is precisely the problem. I don't know if these are hardware or software problems, because Apple wont let us know.

I owned a Treo 650 before my iPhone. I am a gadget whore. I understand buying something at launch has problems. Hell, I own an Xbox 360. I knew the iPhone didn't support a lot of things, I didn't care. But, when I have to return 3 iPhones because it wont charge, or have a battery life of 2 hours, or not being able to hear the other person, I get upset. I wouldn't even be that upset, as long as Apple said, "We know. Wait a week, and things will be better." But they wont. I have NO IDEA if my current phone (which wont fully charge) will be fixed in an update.

Store managers are lying to customers and telling them there will be updates because people are dying to have one. Is this a good practice? Apple could severely reduce the number of people returning the iPhone if they came out and said that the battery problems, call volumes, and screen problems, can be addressed in a software update, which will be issued within (insert dates here).

Things like MMS, iChat, and widget updates, I understand. They will eventually probably come, and buying it early means you have to wait. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is being left in the dark about if my battery is defective, or the software the controls the battery is buggy.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
$600 isn't that much money. I get less help from the manufacturer of my +50k car when it doesn't work right.

perspective...