AppleTV and Airport Extreme/Time Capsule

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I was thinking about getting one soon, but I don;t know if they are really worth the money. I've searched around for reviews and I got mixed replies. Not like I got a 12:1 ratio - there were good ones and horrible ones.

For anybody who has one - what do you think of it?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have been interested in feedback of the AEBS also. Like you, the info I have been able to find has been about 50/50 nightmare stories and being pleased with the results.

stiphone

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
I was thinking about getting one soon, but I don;t know if they are really worth the money. I've searched around for reviews and I got mixed replies. Not like I got a 12:1 ratio - there were good ones and horrible ones.

For anybody who has one - what do you think of it?
well, I have both the Time Capsule and AppleTV. I love both of them. Wouldn't trade them for anything in the technology world.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i also have an Apple TV and I will be getting a Time Capsule (1TB) next week (on order). I assume I will be happy with it, since right now, I have 2 AEBS and they are awesome.

skellener

Oct 23, 2008
I have a Time Capsule and iMac. Works great. Wifi "n" and Time Machine are humming away. I skipped AppleTV though. I use an XBOX 360 for media. Does everything AppleTV does - music, pictures, videos (using Connect 360 - HD podcasts look fantastic!) and also plays DVDs, online games and soon to have NetFlix HD movies.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I have had Apple TV for about a year now, I got it once they allowed rentals. I really love it, I am sure there are better selections out there, but its simple to use never had ONE problem with it. The HD quality is very good, not quite blu-ray but its close enough.

So far the selection is getting better and better, and it does look cool in my entertainment center.

The video rentals load super fast, I don't have an N draft router (but I will after Christmas sister is getting me a time capsule) and its still about a minute or less to begin watching an HD rental.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have had Apple TV for about a year now, I got it once they allowed rentals. I really love it, I am sure there are better selections out there, but its simple to use never had ONE problem with it. The HD quality is very good, not quite blu-ray but its close enough.

So far the selection is getting better and better, and it does look cool in my entertainment center.

The video rentals load super fast, I don't have an N draft router (but I will after Christmas sister is getting me a time capsule) and its still about a minute or less to begin watching an HD rental.
I agree with you Staszek! I am actually thinking of canceling my Blockbuster Online account and just renting movies from Apple TV.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think the thing with Apple's networking stuff is it's great if you've got all Apple equipment. The synergy is amazing (usually). However, if you're looking for an aebs, time capsule, or Apple tv to add to a predominantly non-Apple cmputing/entertainment system, the synergy benefits might not outweigh the slightly lower specs and higher price compared to other networking equipment.

I personally have a time capsule and airport express (to stream airtunes and extend my wireless network in my basement), and they work great. There have been a few time capsule hiccups (caused by firmware and os updates, I think), but overall I'd give them 7/10.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i have had this on my mind for a while
i want to get a Apple tv but think that i might just wanna get a a mac mini and hook that up to my tv, i still don't know.....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm in the same waiting boat, but in the meantime i'm trying to convert my PS3 to stream media from my Time Capsule. We'll see how that goes... gotta squeeze every ounce i can out of this glorified bluray player...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i think that ill go the mac mini way after the macworld so that i can get it on a price drop, i want to be able to surf the web, and Apple tv is only 720p anyway....

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i think that ill go the mac mini way after the macworld so that i can get it on a price drop, i want to be able to surf the web, and Apple tv is only 720p anyway....
You get an HDTV, and you get all snub on resolution. :) 720p is still good.

Good thinking on surfing the web - how are you planning on hooking this up to your tv?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
You get an HDTV, and you get all snub on resolution. :) 720p is still good.

Good thinking on surfing the web - how are you planning on hooking this up to your tv?
DUDE! im all snotty now, im like dvd eewwwww, "i only watch blueray" hahahah my mom, and gf have told me that too!

ahhahah yes im like 720p eww.. hahahahah

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
no update to Mini and no word on Apple TV...a decision is soon to be made. meantime, i have something called a Modix from Korea that supposedly plays mp4 but i can't get my handbrake'd videos to play on it (mv4). I don't want to reconvert my whole collection.

any suggestions?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you could do a slingbox & slingcatcher combo... it would stream video from a computer (or any video source) to a TV. It would be a little expensive, though. The bonus would be that you could stream anywhere in the world too.