AppleTV cable box!

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Hinezy, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

Has anyone else read the article in the EIC news feed!? This would be huge! I think this may very well be how Steve Jobs "cracked" the tv code! As long as it's compatible with Directv I'm in board!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If they did release a set top box, it likely would be compatible with cable companies only. That is, unless they worked out a deal with DirecTV. Like TiVo, DirecTV requires a different breed of set top box. That being said, I've always thought of DirecTV has a forward thinking company. They are always looking for ways to differentiate themselves from the cable companies, so a deal with Apple would do just that. That being said, it wouldn't be feasible. DirecTV is great at delivering content, but not Internet. Any Apple TV set-top box would require connectivity. When I had DirecTV, I needed to have a separate deal with a cable co for Internet. I cannot see Apple delivering such a fragmented experience.

3. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I currently use our local and only cable company for my Internet and DirecTV for television. If they were not able to work out a deal with DirecTV, it would leave me without this new product as my cable company doesn't allow after market boxes! It's their junk or nothing, which is why I jumped ship to DirecTV. Well that and Free NFL ticket, ha ha!

4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Hinezy I thought all cable companies had to give you a cable card so you could use a third party cable box like TiVo. I thought the FCC mandated the cable card requirement.

5. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I wasn't aware of that, they basically told me to pound sand! Maybe if I went into it knowing the laws I'd have stood a better chance. Well if Apple releases a box I can't use with DirecTV I'll be trying again!

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Well if you ever have to go back to cable, I'd look into the laws and really press the cable company for a cable card. Personally I don't know how much I believe that Apple would release a full fledged cable box, I think it would be similar to the Xbox which has become a sort of intermediary for some channels and on demand offerings for AT&T u-verse and Verizon fios. But color me interested, I own the latest Apple tv and really want apps for it.