AppleTV - is it for me?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by TrueChili, Nov 5, 2012.

1. TrueChili

TrueChili Member
    Bronze

Hello all,

I'm looking at Apple TV (as I have a horrible obsession with Apple products..) and Im wondering if it would be worth it. It looks amazing but I'm wondering if one (or several) of you could give me a run through of what it has to offer. It seems that most of what it can do, I can do from my Xbox. Nothing against AppleTV but I don't want to drop $100 on something I essentially already had. I do use NetFlix a lot and I might possibly renew my NHL GameCenter if I got it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Just chipping in my $.02 here. I have it and I love it. If you have a Mac computer you can stream your ripped movies through iTunes, across your network to the TV. That's what I mostly use it for. Since I rip DVDs of TV shows and movies (not including downloaded movies), It's a nice addition.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. lemoon

lemoon Member
    Bronze

Well, I think it's worth to keep.
    With it you could get thousands of great movies from iTunes including stunning HD movies, and also could access Netflix, Hulu plus, YouTube, Vimeo... except to play ripped movies from Mac, if you have other idevces like iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, you could use the Airplay to play the videos on those devices to the HDTV, what I use it for always.
    Maybe you could read these Apple TV review and tips, then make your decision.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The combination of the Apple TV and Air Video is unbeatable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Don't forget the ability to allow mirroring of iPhone 4S/5 and iPad 2,3 and 4...

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I started using mine a lot when AirPlay was introduced. With the AirPlay /Air Video combination, you can completely bypass iTunes and eliminate converting media. This is a big time saver for me. The ATV streams better than the PS3, in my experience, and I haven't found a single video file format that Air Video can't handle.

8. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

Completely. I have both also. I feel the menu is laid out better and more responsive when I play or add something, but air video one of the best reasons to get it...for me anyway.