Application for iPhone internet on your laptop

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
hey guys i need a application that i could install and use my 3g iPhone as my internet provider you know when im traveling so i don't need to buy any intrnet just connect iPhone and will work

Please help guys

any info will help at least a name of that feature so i could search online and maybe find something

Thanks

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Isn't tethering your iPhone to a computer going against the TOS of AT&T? To much data sent over the network and they'll slap you with a big fee or even terminate your account.

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
ye but im not going to download movies you know just check e-mail send and thats it even though i could use 1 gb a month they wont do anything i will get a lawyer and exlpain them whats unlimited mean ;)

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
I highly highly highly highly doubt that this will ever be possible with a standard 3rd-party application. You might find one if you hack your phone, but that's still iffy. The big thing about this is that on the phones that you can use to tether, the carriers charge above and beyond the phone's normal data package to account for the extra usage.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Isn't tethering your iPhone to a computer going against the TOS of AT&T? To much data sent over the network and they'll slap you with a big fee or even terminate your account.
I used to steal 3G tethering and tether it with my laptop and was never caught. This is one of the reason they changed the unlimited to unlimited with a 5GB limited. TOS says if they got you, they would change you to the correct data plan (at this time the iPhone doesn't have).

Also. iPhone tethering has been done with the V1 on EDGE and sure will be done with 3G.

Here is also some good info

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/14/att-says-no-tethering-for-iphone-3g/

Huncowboy

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
At the end of the day the only difference is that you get the internet on a big screen. How is that a problem if you have unlimited data?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
At the end of the day the only difference is that you get the internet on a big screen. How is that a problem if you have unlimited data?
AT&T iPhone service is unlimited data, yes. But, it's intended for that service to be used on...you guessed it...the iPhone.

What they fear is that people will start using the 3G network as their "home" internet connection. They consider the mobile device internet platform the same as their LapTopConnect platform. A place to use the internet when a connection to your home service is not available. Remember that AT&T is also in the broadband land based internet service. They don't want to compete with themselves for your primary internet service.

I gotta tell you. I have a USB 3G modem connected to my MacBook and it is by far more than adequate for every site on the internet. Even full rez YouTube. If I didn't have a PS3 and my roommate wasn't addicted to PC gaming, I would just use the 3G modem fulltime. There are actually people connecting their XBox 360's to these modems. They are that fast and good.

And yes, as the poster above noted. The "unlimited" LapTopConnect service actually has a cap of 5GB download/upload data combined. My bill does tell my usage, but it has no amount listed under the "included data" column. On the AT&T forums, nobody has actually heard of anyone getting their service terminated or charged for overrage of the 5GB cap. The theory is that people will slow their usage a little if they fear going over.

From what the AT&T store employees say, if you consistently top the 5GB limit, AT&T will actually offer you a true unlimited plan. Then they ask you to pay something like $129 a month.

If anything, go to the AT&T wireless page and check out the forums. There are huge discussions on why you can't tether, and why the unlimited service is actually capped at 5GB.

Huncowboy

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
AT&T iPhone service is unlimited data, yes. But, it's intended for that service to be used on...you guessed it...the iPhone.

What they fear is that people will start using the 3G network as their "home" internet connection. They consider the mobile device internet platform the same as their LapTopConnect platform. A place to use the internet when a connection to your home service is not available. Remember that AT&T is also in the broadband land based internet service. They don't want to compete with themselves for your primary internet service.

I gotta tell you. I have a USB 3G modem connected to my MacBook and it is by far more than adequate for every site on the internet. Even full rez YouTube. If I didn't have a PS3 and my roommate wasn't addicted to PC gaming, I would just use the 3G modem fulltime. There are actually people connecting their XBox 360's to these modems. They are that fast and good.

And yes, as the poster above noted. The "unlimited" LapTopConnect service actually has a cap of 5GB download/upload data combined. My bill does tell my usage, but it has no amount listed under the "included data" column. On the AT&T forums, nobody has actually heard of anyone getting their service terminated or charged for overrage of the 5GB cap. The theory is that people will slow their usage a little if they fear going over.

From what the AT&T store employees say, if you consistently top the 5GB limit, AT&T will actually offer you a true unlimited plan. Then they ask you to pay something like $129 a month.

If anything, go to the AT&T wireless page and check out the forums. There are huge discussions on why you can't tether, and why the unlimited service is actually capped at 5GB.
Interesting and it makes sense. The 5GB number is good to know. However just for the sake of argument:

Does it really change your usage if you visit the same pages on the laptop istead on the iPhone? I guess it does a bit because it makes you tired faster to look at a tiny screen. Can you have a projector and a BT keyboard (I am not even sure if it is doable at all but say it would be) attached to your phone? Or is that also illegal?

I see how they are not trying to create competition for their ADSL service. For me the iPhone will be my laptop replacement on the road, for internet and email. I will still carry my laptop with me for offline games but only when I am in hotels for long overlays to kill time. For home I was not even willing to switch to At&t's ADSL because my comcast cable is that fast. So I decided to not care for the discount for combining everything under the same bill. Anyhow... I see how using it as a modem probably does change my surfing habbit toward the higher usage.

Now if they would just get the damn thing shipped...

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
This was an offical reply from the company who created the app, posted on MacRumors.com

Just an official reply from Nullriver....

"We're not quite sure why Apple took down the application yet, we've received no communication from Apple thus far. NetShare did not voilate any of the Developer or AppStore agreements. We're hoping we'll get some feedback from Apple tomorrow. Sorry to all the folks that couldn't get it in time. We'll do our best to try to get the application back onto the AppStore if at all possible. At the very least, I would hope Apple will allow it in countries where the provider does permit tethering.

We'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks!""

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Nullriver is the copany trying to get this app out there.

I am sure it had les to do with Apple approval, but more to do with AT&T's contract with Apple....apple might not have been thinking when they originally allowed.

Anyway, Nullriver seems to have some other cool Application available for other uses, too. (i.e. streaming iPhoto and iTunes to your XBox 360 from you Mac!)

http://www.nullriver.com/

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Whell the application is back now, just search for Net Share (make sure theres a space).