Application over 20 mb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiublole, Dec 10, 2011.

1. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

Is there a a way to not get this message when i fownload something from the app store?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Applications over 20MB must be downloaded using wi-fi. If you are jailbroken you can use 3G Unrestrictor or My3G to bypass this restriction.

3. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

one more reason to keep hating my iPhone 4s

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Hate AT&T not the iPhone, Mario!

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

It's the iOS's fault and the carriers probably had something to do with it. The App Store should prompt you that the app is over 20mb's but still allow you to proceed as normal.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

But you can download a whole music album on 3G can't you? I might be wrong.

7. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

is the restriction jus for apps or for everything?

8. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Only because few songs are larger than 20mb. Is there even one such pop song? Maybe a classic symphonic that's very long.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

9. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i think it has to do with something in the os. cause my 4s from sprint which will all know is unlimited has the same issue. no downloads bigger than 20mb can be done via 3g. it should be noted also that i have done downloads as big as 700+mb on the same acct from sprint but with my gs2 and had no problems. please i'm not hating on the iPhone just stating my observations is all. in response to question made by the OP

10. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

i have sprint not att

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

When you buy the whole album, which is cheaper them buying every individual song, I think it let's you download the whole album on 3G.

12. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I still think its a carrier restriction and not the OS, I could be wrong here.

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

literally speaking, you don't get a warning from e.g AT&T you get an iOS pop-up. The block is software related, that's why you can remove it by adding tweaks.

14. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I have to agree with kiublole on this one. I have always found the 20mb app restriction annoying. Its my data, and I want it now.

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Network Fundamentals 101

Think of data as akin to the letters we send via the postal service.

Like this message transport, data has two basic constructs; the envelop and the content.

The carriers are not investing systems and maintenance time inspecting the content of your data. They simply need to read the envelop for things such as sender, target, error checking, device client, source and destination ports, etc.

Information such as file breaks, that define boundaries such as the size of a particular assembly of info, be it a song or album is contained in the contents. The carrier then only knows the bulk data volume of the 'letter'.

Any smart filtering such as this arbitrary 20MB download cap can only be executed either from the software on the iDevice or from the software at the server, App Store.

What is the big struggle with this. You all know what you've signed up for with Apple. Big brother is trying to help you keep your data usage in control. Apple's got your back. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you jailbreak. :)

16. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

No where near a deal breaker for me - the iPhone has way to many upsides for this to make a dent in my positive perception of them. However - I relate this to something like: If I bought $400 of gift cards to Applebees - but am told I can only use $20 or less at a time. I already paid for the $400 - if I want to use it all at once, why should I not be able to? The justification was much more sturdy when Unlimited data was ubiquitous. I guess until everyone is off of that, the 20mb limit will apply.

Also, I understand the network implications - but I can just as easy stream an 30 min video from youtube or download 100 high res pictures using far more than 20mb without an issue.

17. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Here's a good test. Put a 30mb ZIP file in dropbox and see if you can download it locally to an iPhone.

I agree, if Apple applied this limit widely then it maybe a deal breaker for some. Really though, few user files on your phone exceed 20mb. High res pics are 12mb each on the extreme end. While a 100 of these would be sizable, individually metered they wouldn't be filtered even were it applied. A stream be it video or audio doesn't define a size, being a stream. The only whole file that I could imagine routinely being larger than 20mb are videos downloaded for offline viewing, and yeah capping these would be a nuisance. I think there's a youtube download app for iOS. That should be able to exceed an arbitrary download limit of 20mb.

18. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

It's not a carrier restriction. It's an iPhone limitation.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

iPhone limitation? Do you have a link?

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum