Applications will not open

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RyanP, Aug 13, 2008.

1. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

I have a v. 1 phone and have several applications. After loading the 2.0.1 software upgrade, I can't open an application--I tap on the icon, it opens for about 1 second, then it closes again (taking me back to the home screen). The same thing happens for every application. I have tried everything--turned off the phone, re-synched the phone, soft re-boot, etc., but it still happens. Has anybody else had this problem or know of a workaround? Thanks,
    Ryan

2. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

You haven't tried everything. Backup and restore the phone.

3. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

Follow up...

I'm actually not at home now--can I back up and restore from an iTunes that's different than my primary iTunes (I know I can't sync to more than one computer, but can I restore/backup from a different computer)?

4. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Yes, just make sure Sync only checked music and videos is selected and then uncheck all the music and videos on this computer so you don't lose all your media.

5. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

I did the full restore, and I still have the same problem. Could it be a virus? Has anybody else had this problem? (Basically I click on an application, and it opens for 3 seconds but doesn't respond to any touch, then it closes and goes back to the home screen.)

6. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I ran into that problem too. I had to download the apps again.

7. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Is this all your applications or just your third party ones you downloaded from the app store?

8. lensam

lensam Member
    Bronze

Im havin the same problem. If I do a restore will I lose all my contacts? And how do you backup the phone? Thanks

9. iChristian

iChristian New Member
    Bronze

Hook up your phone to your computer (the computer the phone is synced with)
    When the phone appears in iTunes, there should be a restore button. Click on that.
    It will give you 2 options. If you want to restore it as a new phone to get rid of corrupted software or something else of that nature, then do that (beware: it will erase everything on your phone)
    If you want to just restore, restore and it should sync everything back. (DO NOT RESTORE AS A NEW PHONE IF YOU WANT THIS OPTION)
    So, it depends on how you restore the phone. Hope this helps. Good luck.

10. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

If you restore your phone as a new phone, yes you will lose everything, BUT, what people fail to realize is that all your contacts will still be on the computer. So the next time you do a sync, they will go back to the phone.

11. mriphone114

mriphone114 New Member

solutions is reinstall the apps..

12. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

Yes, this is true--the solution is to reinstall the apps. But what I learned is that if you just reinstall one of the apps, then all the apps start working again. So I just deleted a free app, then chose to reinstall it from the store again. You'll actually get a message saying you've already downloaded it, and it asks if you'd like to download it again. Just say yes, and this should resolve the issue for all your apps.

Specific to the restore, your contacts (and music) will sync back as mentioned, but what you'll lose is all your text messages, all your notes, all your wifi keys, etc., so restoring, though helpful, can be a giant pain in the butt. (Note: this is only for a restore as a new phone--restoring from a backup will keep all that mentioned data in tact on your phone.)

13. spindle7

spindle7 New Member

Newly upgraded apps will not open

I have the same problem:
    Yesterday I received my new iPod touch (replaced under warranty) and synched my selection of apps from the old one. All seemed well. I then upgraded the 12 apps that Appstore said needed upgrading. Now the only apps that will open are the ones Apple provides with the iPod touch. All of the others briefly display their opening screens, then quit.

14. spindle7

spindle7 New Member

I tried deleting an app and re-installing it, but it didn't solve the problem. Now my next problem is, if I back up my ipod as is, then reset it and restore from backup, will I just be re-installing the problem?

15. Noah1234567

Noah1234567 New Member

i have the same problem. however, even after fully restoring my ipod touch and deleting and reinstalling apps the applications still only open for a couple of seconds before closing again :-/ help me please..

16. spindle7

spindle7 New Member

I have discovered that by hard-resetting my ipod and then synching selected applications I can get working apps. It appears that it is the installing of apps by download to the ipod that is problematical. Now, if I could only work out how to download upgrades to the Mac and then install them life would become possible again.

17. Northshorebabe

Northshorebabe New Member

Thanks Ryan,
    I had this problem. Reinstalled Solitaire app (free) and all the other Apps appear to be working. Thanks for the tip. I wonder what makes the Apps freeze up like that? The music icon still functioned. It might have had something to do with syncing the Ipod.

18. stroud

stroud New Member

I had this problem today too! I deleted one of my free apps and then installed it again and they all worked!
    Hopefully that will help.