Apply Watch Try-On Appointments

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bballrob, Apr 20, 2015.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So, I have to drive to the big city after work tonight to pick up my Daugher and her husband who are coming home for the summer from college. It's gonna be a quick trip, at least as quick as a 2.5 hour each way drive can be. But I decided to at least do ONE thing that I want to while I'm there. I'll be hitting up the local Apple Store to try on the Apple Watch while I'm up there. Scheduled myself an 8:15 PM appointment.

I'm curious to know if anyone has gone in yet and tried them on. What did they let you do? Were you able to pair it to your phone, and if so, how was it? What were you able to test out? I've still not even talked myself into actually purchasing one, but I'm gonna give it a try-on anyhow.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Contemplating getting the gold one?

3. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

They let you try on models which just cycle through a demo mode. It also demos the taptic feedback on your wrist. I've heard they have models you can try which aren't in demo mode (though not pair) but I didn't have that opportunity at my try on appointment.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

These vary from store to store. Here's my Apple Watch try-on experience. It was nothing magical. I did leave knowing that I had made a mistake buying the 38mm. :(

5. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I just read your try on experience. To be honest, things were a little shaky on day 1, at least for us. We also assumed that our watches were dead, but one thing that was missed during communication from our overnight team was that double-pressing the side button underneath the crown would make the watch go into a demo loop. They were actually on the whole time, just sleeping. No one knew what to do until this special 2-3 person team that did the programming for the watches (and had worked the overnight before) came in the next day and communicated that kind-of-important info.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This was on day 4, the Monday following the Friday start.

7. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Whoops, then I have no idea. :p

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm not faulting the staff. I also understand there are plenty of moving parts. I just felt there were a sea of articles that proclaimed it to be an amazing retail experience. Mine was ordinary. Nothing wrong with that, but just the same, ordinary.

I do think that it's a big mistake to allow someone to try-on a watch that's dead. It reinforces one of the major concerns - battery life.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

10. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Haha that is fricken awesome.

11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

This gives me hope. A Golden Apple Watch may be possible in my future after all!!!

#11 bballrob, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  12. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Makes me want to turn mine gold now. Haha

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

No limit on color now :)

14. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

He only missed one thing. On the side of the digital crown should match the color of the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hmmm, I'll have to see them on my wrist too. By the way Chris, in the article you say
    I assume you meant that neither scream "Nerd alert". I don't know. I guess I'll get used to seeing rectangular black watches in time.

16. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

Since I have not tried on a demo can someone give feedback on the band sizes. If you have a 175 mm wrist. The medium leather loop band size says it will go to 185 mm. Is there enough band left to have nice overlap or would you be moving up in size? Sorry if this is covered somewhere else :)

17. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I have 170-175mm wrists and there was plenty of overlap on the smaller sized band. The larger one actually was too long went past the watch casing.

18. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I got 42mm sport black band. My eye sight not great having diabetes .