Appointments and Time Zones

mmiora

Oct 4, 2007
This, as many will figure out without my comment, is my first post. I do not own an iPhone, but have been using handhelds of various flavors since 1990. Yes. 1990 - the Sharp Wizard.

I currently use Windows Mobile 6 (Treo) and know that there is an issue there with time (zone) traveling. Lets say I have an appointment I entered while at home in Pacific time for 10 am. If I travel to Eastern time, and let my Treo phone select time and zone, then my appointment will be automagically changed to 1 pm, as WM6 determines that 1 pm ET = 10 am PT.

While the calculation is correct, I don't really want my appointments changed for me, so I must leave my Treo always set to PT, even when I am in time zones overseas.

My question: How does the iPhone handle time zones and appointments? I know about the DST issue described in other threads, so that isn't the point of this question. I'm trying to figure out whether time zone handlign is a good excuse^H^H^H^H^H reason to buy an iPhone.

Thanks ..

Resident Plarp

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
www2.oakland.edu
I'll tell you after about two weeks. At the moment, my travels have me centered on Eastern seaboard. I'll let you know how it works then.

mmiora

Oct 4, 2007
Doesn't' anybody travel with an iPhone and notice time zone affects on appointments? I'd truly appreciate an answer ...

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The iPhone has options to set the time zone for any city you like or you can have it set so it changes according to which location you are in.

I'm not sure if any phone does more then that.

mmiora

Oct 4, 2007
The iPhone has options to set the time zone for any city you like or you can have it set so it changes according to which location you are in.

I'm not sure if any phone does more then that.
I know about the settings capabilities. I'm wondering if there is an affect on the actual appointment times. For exmaple, in Windows Mobile, the time of an appointment set to 10 am while you are in Pacific Time is automagically, though undesireably, changed to 1:00 pm whne you arrive in Eastern Time. That's why I can't let my WM phone set time automatically while I am traveling -- it messes up my appointments.

What happens on the iPhone to appointment times when the phone senses a new time zone?

mmiora

Oct 4, 2007
Doesn't anybody travel with the iPhone? When your iPhone changes timezones, do the appointment times change to conform with the new time zone or stay the same?

tri3tsch

Feb 19, 2008
Yes, I just traveled from CST to EST and tested this. If you turn off Time Zone Support, the iPhone will adjust all appointments to the new setting (was 12 noon in CST, now 1:00pm in EST). If you turn on Time Zone Support and set it for the zone of the original settings, CST in my case, the appts will stay the same, but the time of the iPhone will be adjusted to EST.

I turned it off, all appts were adjusted, and then turned it back on and all appts were fixed to CST as they should be.