Apps forcing WiFi to disconnect?

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Valkyrith, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

I seem to be having an issue with certain apps forcing my phone to disconnect from Wifi...the phone works fine and stays connected perfectly until I open certain apps, and it does this on more than just home wifi...the one that I KNOW does it for sure is Grindr (if that matters?) and I THINK Jack'd is doing it as well, but could be wrong on that one. Does anyone know if this is an issue with the app, or if the fact that I just had my software and jailbreak updated to 5.0.1 could be causing it? I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app, and no luck. Anyone have any idea or suggestion for how to fix this? :/ I use the app to socialize with some friends...so...I'd rather not have to just get rid of it...

:EDIT:
    I have confirmed that in addition to Grindr, at least Jack'd also does this. In addition to those, both Scruff and BoyAhoy seem to do it as well, but don't seem to be quite as bad about it. Skype and Talkatone, however, do not.

::Re-Edit::
    And now it seems that most of the apps have begun to stabilize themselves after they disconnect once...the only exception seems to be Jack'd...it continues to disconnect consistently if I try to do anything to interact with the app...

2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

No experience with either one mentioned but I usually check the latest app store reviews when I suspect something is amiss with an app.
    YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

3. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

Okay...because of all of the edits and my most recent realization, I'm making a new reply.
    The consistency and occurrence of my phone dropping wifi is the location services. Which brings about this question; Is there a way around simply disabling my location services for me to keep wifi? Many of the apps I make use of require me to use it, and the current situation is highly inconvenient...
    Suggestions, help, something? Please and thank you.

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

As I understand from the description of at least one of your apps, location is a key aspect of that app for its social contact, no? Have you tried restarting or doing a hard reset? That often "cures" app weirdness. It might also be that you need to free up RAM by closing out apps not currently being used.

5. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

I've tried resets, disabling then enabling the location settings, disabling then enabling wifi, reconnecting to the network, and I've even tried closing everything but the app I'm currently using.
    Totally disabling location services gives network stability...I don't disconnect at all. But I NEED the location services to use most of the apps that I use...or to use them effectively, rather.
    I found what I believe is a fix for the issue, but the wording is a little off and it's not something I'm willing to try on my own out of fear that I may screw up my jailbreak or phone.