Apps keep disappearing from my new 3G S

Air

Oct 14, 2007
When I restored my 3G S from my 3G backup (both on 3.0 firmware), everything worked fine except it didn't include BeeJive IM and Star Defense. I simply redownloaded them and it worked fine to do so, but now that I've synced again those two apps once again disappear from my iPhone after the syncing. It's a bit of a frustration. Any solutions?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I'm having the same issue and have narrowed the missing apps to the ones I'd put in "Categories" folders on my old phone. iTunes did install them during the 3gs restore process but for some reason they're invisible on 3gs.

What I'm doing right now is removing the apps from the Categories folders, backup and restore the 3gs from the new backup. Keeping fingers crossed....

UPDATE: That fixed it for me. I have all my missing apps back on the 3gs!

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
When I restored my 3G S from my 3G backup (both on 3.0 firmware), everything worked fine except it didn't include BeeJive IM and Star Defense. I simply redownloaded them and it worked fine to do so, but now that I've synced again those two apps once again disappear from my iPhone after the syncing. It's a bit of a frustration. Any solutions?
Make sure the Apps are checked on the App sync tab. If you download them from the App Store on the phone, they don't automatically sync

Jun 26, 2007
For me, my free AIM app had the picture of iDrive Lite. So instead of the AOL man it had some other Apps picture.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
If you download apps mainly from the app store straight onto your phone, you should do the following every so often. Connect your phone to iTunes, select FILE from the top, click on "Transfer Purchases". This will take the apps from your phone and place them in iTunes. Then, anytime you are syncing apps, just make sure the apps you want on your phone are checkmarked and you're good to go...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Weird. My icons don't have this identity crisis, but man the look of these stock icons is driving me insane.

Have you guys tried deleting and reinstalling?

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
Weird. My icons don't have this identity crisis, but man the look of these stock icons is driving me insane.

Have you guys tried deleting and reinstalling?
mine are, FML has a facebook icon, google earth has fake calls icon etc

I was afraid of stuff like this happening which is why I set up as new, rather than from backup. I have had no issues like any of these. May have just been luck on my part but I have had to swap out 5 phones (thats including buying new, 3g, then 3gs) since the first phone and each time have not used the backup.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Here is what I've noticed (on my 3G though I haven't tried it on the 3GS yet). If I have an app downloaded, then delete it from the phone and sync it (so it shows as deleted off the phone in iTunes). Then I re-download it onto the phone and install it and then sync with iTunes it will disappear. There seems to be some problem with redownloading apps on your phone that you had previously deleted and synced. iTunes seems to tell the phone to delete it.

Kind of annoying but the fix is just to check the app in iTunes and everything will be fine.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
My wife's phone had missing apps also. Most of those that were there (in iTunes applications folder) had weird "default" icons.

I located the actual apps on her machine in the directory
My_documents\My Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications
and double-clicked each of them.

After doing so, the icons in the iTunes "Applications" subdir under "Library" all went to normal. The apps that weren't there at all were restored by re-downloading them. We've synced the phone several times and no apps have disappeared (we have "all" checked on the applications sync tab of the phone in iTunes).