Apps opening slowly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Since I downloaded 7.02 many of my apps are taking a long time to open .This is happening on Wi-Fi as well as LTE . Any idea why?

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Since I downloaded 7.02 many of my apps are taking a long time to open .This is happening on Wi-Fi as well as LTE . Any idea why?

Sent using iCafe app
Open? As in start up after you tap their icon? Why would it matter if you're on LTE or Wi-Fi? Did you mean taking a long time to install, perhaps?

If the latter, I've noticed it happen on occasion. Sometimes the install process will take exceedingly long, but other times it's as snappy as the shadow of the moon passing over the earth during a solar eclipse. It hasn't bothered me enough, but if it's unsettling for you, you may want to try a hard reset: http://m.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iphone

Sent using iCafe app

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
When I tap on the app it opens with the icon spinning and keeps spinning for an extended period of time

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Spinning icons. Ok. Can't say I've experienced that. You have stumbled upon something new. Would you be willing to grab a screenshot and share it?

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Try a hard reboot by pressing and holding both the home & sleep buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo, the release both.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
@brdmsd , are you sure you're not referring to the app installation animation, as shown in this YouTube video?

Or are you actually getting some kind of icon spinning each and every time you attempt to start up an already-installed app when you tap on its icon on whichever home screen (or folder) it's currently residing? I only ask because in several generations of iOS, there is nothing that should result in an app's icon spinning, be it clockwise or counterclockwise. There is app "jiggling," which happens when you're deleting an app, but this isn't what you're doing now...

If what you're getting is the animation in the YouTube video above, that is totally normal, except that it should only happen once, when installing a new app from the App Store or when re-downloading a previously-purchased app. This should not be happening every time you start an App.

I can tell you that yes, for me, those app installations (and re-installations) have been on occasion a little bit lengthy, but it doesn't happen all the time.. Some of them cruise right on through the installation process, while others take a little longer... Hasn't caused major headaches for me just yet. I just set the phone down and go do something else why they come in. I have a fast Wi-Fi, so I don't see why the slowdown... In the beginning it was happening more often, but I think 7.0.2 has improved the situation somewhat.

Last edited:

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
When I say spinning icon I don't mean the app icon. I mean the small spinning wheel that appears while the app( or in Safari the web page) is waiting to open

Sent using iCafe app

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
When I say spinning icon I don't mean the app icon. I mean the small spinning wheel that appears while the app( or in Safari the web page) is waiting to open

Sent using iCafe app
This sounds more like a computer problem, not an idevice problem.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Reset your network settings in the settings app. If that doesn't work, reset all settings. If that doesn't help, do a full restore.

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
This is not a computer or network problem. It is occurring when I'm not on a computer network. It is occurring on LTE and 4g when I'm not near my router as well as when I'm on my network. The apps are basically pausing or sticking on the screen without opening. This is not happening all the time and I've done hard resets but this hasn't helped

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
This is not a computer or network problem. It is occurring when I'm not on a computer network. It is occurring on LTE and 4g when I'm not near my router as well as when I'm on my network. The apps are basically pausing or sticking on the screen without opening. This is not happening all the time and I've done hard resets but this hasn't helped
Sent using iCafe app
What device? 3G /4/5 ?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
But you haven't reset your network settings, all settings or restored? Those are the next steps after a hard reset.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013

Sent using iCafe app
I know what you are talking about. It only happens in certain apps. I wonder if it is just because the apps haven't been updated to work well with iOS 7. I notice it with the my AT&T app. I haven't seen this with any native apps though.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a sexy black leather Apple case.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
Why is it getting so hot? Are you using a genuine Apple charger? Maybe you should turn it off when it starts smoking.
Lol. Hot like sexy. Not physically hot.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a sexy black leather Apple case.