Apps...really so bad?

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
Okay, so i have heard a lot of scary stuff about installing apps.

Can freeze phone
May need a system restore
Will void the warrinity with Apple you have

and other stuff I havn't listed...yet some of the apps look awesome. I heard of an app that turns your iPhone into a video phone like the phone SHOULD have had in the first place.

Anyway, is all the above true? And if so, when will there be official iPhone apps made by Apple for us to download. I think i heard something about February but im not sure.

I would love my phone to do more stuff...but i don't wanna break it or anything else lol

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
i have also heard of stuff like you describe happening, but i myself have never had any of that happen to me. my iPhone has been jailbroken since September and i have added tons of 3rd pty apps. the only inconvenience I've had is all the icons disappear from my phone, which are easily returned by restarting the spring board. the only way to really screw up your phone is if it is unlocked from att and u do somthing wrong. just adding apps is not that big of a deal and if you do run into a problem you can just restore it, nothing is irreversable.

Last edited by a moderator:

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
ok first you will not break your phone as long as you continue to be an AT&T customer. It is those that have their phone unlocked to another carrier that have reason to worry. Most apps are cool and neato but a lot of folks seem to think they are useless and increase the phone's instability.
I, however, have my phone modded tonthe hilt and love it. Sometimes some new apps don't work and I have to deal with it. All that means is that I have to remove the app and in the worst case I might have to restore and start all over. Once you get the hang of it, to restore and then jailbreak the phone might take an hour at best behind the computer. This iPhone is quite durable and resilliant and I would have ZERO fear of modifying your phone as long as you are with AT&T on a legit contract. Its fun and In a short time you'll come to know your phone like the back of your hand...
The "apps" you speak of that come out in Feb is actually the ability for those that have the know-how to develop applications... That could be pay only.
do some research and feel free to modify.
and yes a restore erases your content but you just put it back on. No biggie. You shouldn't have anything on the phone that you don't have a backup of somewhere else.

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
yes a restore erases everything but everytime u connect your phone to iTunes it backs up all your contacts and stuff and u can download all your pics to iphoto whenever u want. adding apps does void your warranty but should u need to get the phone serviced for whatever reason u can restore and Apple will never no u had the apps. a restore is like a last resort, but it can save your phone.

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
Okay, well I am a legit customer on O2 (UK customer). What exactly does a system restore do? Delete all your msn messages and get rid of every music video and tracks etc that you have added on there? I wouldn't have the need for most apps, they all seem very pointless, but there would be a cople i would like to add.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Okay, well I am a legit customer on O2 (UK customer). What exactly does a system restore do? Delete all your msn messages and get rid of every music video and tracks etc that you have added on there? I wouldn't have the need for most apps, they all seem very pointless, but there would be a cople i would like to add.

Restore ,(v), To return to the original and functioning state.

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
restore = restores to factory settings i.e.- retuns phone to how it was the first time u opened the box, but its activated. then all u have to do is connect it to iTunes to get all u music and stuff back