Apps run on both WiFi and cell network

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Redbull2000, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

I heard some apps will run in both wifi and cell network. Is it true ?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Please elaborate if I misunderstood your question. When you are connected to WiFi, data is not used over the network. It's one or the other. I can't think of any a apps that don't work on both. Skype didn't work over cellular until 2010 and FaceTime was initially WiFi-only, but FaceTime has worked over cellular for years (as long as the cellular provider enabled it).

3. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

Well, this what I come from. AT&T notified me that I almost go over my data limit. I was at 90% of my cap. So I turn on the wifi and used my phone with it. But I received message states my data was over 17 MB next morning. So I wonder when I used my phone under Wifi, would that be using cell network in the same time ?

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Be sure to use WiFi whenever it is available. The phone doesn't use both cellular and WiFi at the same time. A lot of people have reported small amounts of cellular data being used while they are sleeping and the phone is in standby. I believe this is because it doesn't count all of the data in real time and it has to catch up on the count. It also might fall off of WiFi and use small amounts to check email and provide other push services. You have to be paying close attention to it to notice this. If you have been using cellular where WiFi is available, you'll likely notice a large decrease in overall monthly cellular data usage.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have 3 phones on my Verizon service that are LTE. Another is 3G. The LTE phones a use little bits of cellular data while on wifi. I can see them listed on the spreadsheet at My Verizon. Most are small amounts like .006 mg, but there's a lot of them. A few are larger. I had one that was 65mb, and had no clue what it was. I do very little off wifi. Mostly just calls and texts. My 3G phone doesn't do that. The image shows some of these from my own phone. All the little usages were at times when I was on wifi. Do you know what causes that? ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1385382604.706441.jpg

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Could be the Cell Network Search.
    Settings/Privacy/location services/System Services

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Could be. I turned it off to see what happens. It's not an issue, as we have 4 gb of data on the Family Share Plan. All 4 phones have wifi. I was curious though.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

8. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

Thanks everyone ! I sure to check more closely each month. Never happen before and I hope not happen again.

Sent using iCafe app