Apps Still Run as Root in (JBed) 1.1.3?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hmmm. I've installed SysInfo again on 1.1.3. When I look at the list of running processes, it shows itself and Mobile Safari as running under the root user.

Is this SysInfo mis-reporting the user info, or does the 1.1.3 jailbreak alter the new security model that is supposed to keep most apps running as the new 'Mobile' user?

I tried with ps commands in terminal as well, but don't know my syntax well enough to get it to show which users own which processes ...

atomnet

Jan 27, 2008
Hmmm. I've installed SysInfo again on 1.1.3. When I look at the list of running processes, it shows itself and Mobile Safari as running under the root user.

Is this SysInfo mis-reporting the user info, or does the 1.1.3 jailbreak alter the new security model that is supposed to keep most apps running as the new 'Mobile' user?

I tried with ps commands in terminal as well, but don't know my syntax well enough to get it to show which users own which processes ...
I noticed the same thing. 'ps aux' will list all processes and tell you who owns them: everything's still running as root. There's also the fact that the terminal app still starts up with a root prompt.

A little poking around suggests that the 'mobile' user has been modified so that it's UID 0. That means that whenever the phone tries to start an application as 'mobile', it runs as root. I'm guessing that's an intentional part of the jailbreak, perhaps to allow existing third-party apps to work if they expect root access.

I'm curious, though -- this is with Nate True's jailbreak. Does the 'official' jailbreak use the same approach? If not, how well are the third-party apps working out?

atomnet

Jan 27, 2008
I'm curious, though -- this is with Nate True's jailbreak. Does the 'official' jailbreak use the same approach? If not, how well are the third-party apps working out?
Seems the answer to that is 'no'. The 'official' jailbreak runs apps as 'mobile', not root -- the same as stock 1.1.3.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Seems the answer to that is 'no'. The 'official' jailbreak runs apps as 'mobile', not root -- the same as stock 1.1.3.
Apparently they run as Mobile under the Dev Team JB - but Mobile has same level of permissions as Root. This will need to change when SDK comes along ...

Sep 29, 2007
This is why I couldn't access it this morning. I was trying root the entire time. Ill try mobile when I get home. Is the passwrod still alpine.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This is why I couldn't access it this morning. I was trying root the entire time. Ill try mobile when I get home. Is the passwrod still alpine.
If you mean this is why you couldn't get access via WinSCP or similar SSH methods, that won't be the case - the root user still exists and should still be usable - all we're talking about is the default user account that apps run under. That won't alter the ability to login as root ...

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I've noticed some problems with this root/mobile change. When I dowloaded summerboard it downloaded to mobile, but any themes I installed were dowloaded to root. So, in order to get downloaded themes to work I had to ssh into the phone and move the folder from root into mobile. Customize themes seem to do the same thing, although I cannot get it to open without crashing. I would assume other packages made for 1.1.2 will have the same problem.