Apps syncing with iPhone

futebol

Apr 8, 2007
I'm still learning about the iPhone but are there any apps besides iCal that the iPhone will work with on a mac? Is there any chance 3rd party developers will be able to build other software that syncs with the iPhone?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
iPhone will pull information from Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, and possibly iMovie. Regarding 3rd party apps, iPhone is a closed platform. We expect that widgets will be iPhone's apps and guess that Apple will eventually institute a testing and authorization program for third party developers. Browse the iPhone forum for more on this.

Welcome to EI.com!

-K

Last edited by a moderator:

salto99

May 26, 2007
sync question?

iPhone will pull information from Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, and possibly iMovie. Regarding 3rd party apps, iPhone is a closed platform. We expect that widgets will be iPhone's apps and guess that Apple will eventually institute a testing and authorization program for third party developers. Browse the iPhone forum for more on this.

Welcome to EI.com!

-K
Will the phone use bluetooth to do the sync?

Scientific American had an article on bluetooth security issues. It mentioned that if you were in range of someone wanting to hack into your phone they could get access to your data among other activities.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Will the phone use bluetooth to do the sync?

Scientific American had an article on bluetooth security issues. It mentioned that if you were in range of someone wanting to hack into your phone they could get access to your data among other activities.
I'm not sure if the iPhone will allow syncing outside of its dock. But I really really hope it does. I used to sync my SE 610T with bluetooth and it was so nice. Didn't even need to take it out of my pocket. Same for the tethering. This should be so simple for Apple to do, syncing via bluetooth or wifi.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I'm not sure if the iPhone will allow syncing outside of its dock. But I really really hope it does. I used to sync my SE 610T with bluetooth and it was so nice. Didn't even need to take it out of my pocket. Same for the tethering. This should be so simple for Apple to do, syncing via bluetooth or wifi.
I agree that syncing via bluetooth would be nice. I am not familiar with bluetooth sustained transmissions speeds though. How long would it take to sync if you wanted to swap out a few movies (lets say 4GB)?

According to David Pogue:
“Is there any wireless (Bluetooth or Wifi) syncing at all, for contacts and calendar?” –No.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I agree that syncing via bluetooth would be nice. I am not familiar with bluetooth sustained transmissions speeds though. How long would it take to sync if you wanted to swap out a few movies (lets say 4GB)?
Bluetooth will do 721 Kbps and supports syncing video. However, I'd probably opt to sync some faster way for full movies, but everything else should be great over BT.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Bluetooth will do 721 Kbps and supports syncing video. However, I'd probably opt to sync some faster way for full movies, but everything else should be great over BT.
These are theoretical burst speeds. I'll tell ya, I occasionally sync my Treo via Bluetooth (when the @#^%$ cable isn't working) and exchanging about 15 MB takes forever. I wouldn't want to BT sync an iPhone even if I could.

-K

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
These are theoretical burst speeds. I'll tell ya, I occasionally sync my Treo via Bluetooth (when the @#^%$ cable isn't working) and exchanging about 15 MB takes forever. I wouldn't want to BT sync an iPhone even if I could.
I still think sync'ing all other data is more than practical with BT. Songs are still practical for the few you add here and there, but not your entire library.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I still think sync'ing all other data is more than practical with BT. Songs are still practical for the few you add here and there, but not your entire library.
I guess that will depend on how much data you regularly sync. With my Nano, I have smart playlists that rotate what is currently on it based on how long ago a listened to a song. IOW, if I listened to a song since the last time I synced, it is removed and replaced by a song that I haven't heard in a while. Because of this, every time I sync many songs are added and removed. Unfortunately, I don't think bluetooth sync would work for me. Now WiFi sync on the the other hand...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I guess that will depend on how much data you regularly sync. With my Nano, I have smart playlists that rotate what is currently on it based on how long ago a listened to a song. IOW, if I listened to a song since the last time I synced, it is removed and replaced by a song that I haven't heard in a while. Because of this, every time I sync many songs are added and removed. Unfortunately, I don't think bluetooth sync would work for me. Now WiFi sync on the the other hand...
Yeah, I'll be kinda disappointed if it doesn't sync via Wifi. You just walk in your house and everything is sync'd.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Yeah, I'll be kinda disappointed if it doesn't sync via Wifi. You just walk in your house and everything is sync'd.
It doesn't. At least, not as far as available information suggests.

Personally, I would also find wireless syncing convenient. This article argues otherwise:
"Why sync wirelessly at ideally 20 Mb/sec and drain the battery using WiFi, when a USB dock sync approaches 400 Mb/sec, and charges the battery? After a more than five times slower WiFi sync, you'd have to dock it to recharge anyway because your battery would be half dead."​
While I think this battery drain argument is a little exaggerated, with a sealed-battery device like iPhone any battery intensive task (like running the WiFi radio for a full sync) gets my scrutiny as to whether or not it's really necessary.

-K

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Is it necessary? That's debateable but I really think it should be up to the user's discretion to decide what and how they're syncing. If you're trying to transfer 8 GB worth of data, then by all means use USB. To do so otherwise would be idiotic and time consuming at the very least.

With the relatively small 8 GB (or even 4 GB) capacity, users will be syncing quite a bit more. Finding the sync cord (if it's not close by) and plugging it in does get old after awhile. You also have to factor in some wear on the dock connector as well...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Is it necessary? That's debateable but I really think it should be up to the user's discretion to decide what and how they're syncing. If you're trying to transfer 8 GB worth of data, then by all means use USB. To do so otherwise would be idiotic and time consuming at the very least.

With the relatively small 8 GB (or even 4 GB) capacity, users will be syncing quite a bit more. Finding the sync cord (if it's not close by) and plugging it in does get old after awhile. You also have to factor in some wear on the dock connector as well...
Exactly! Especially considering the more important data (contacts, bookmarks, events, etc.). I can sync audio/video any time since that's not critical.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
But I really really hope it does. I used to sync my SE 610T with bluetooth and it was so nice. Didn't even need to take it out of my pocket. Same for the tethering. This should be so simple for Apple to do, syncing via bluetooth or wifi.
Based on some information I just acquired, it seems as though BT sync will indeed be possible.

Then in response to the other persons post about BT security, I don't see that as an issue because of the relatively short range of BT. In addition, if one was to find themselves in a crowded room like a convention or such, it would simply be a matter of moving away from the crowd for a few moment to do a sync. No problem.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Then in response to the other persons post about BT security, I don't see that as an issue because of the relatively short range of BT.
Remember you have to pair the device as well. In the time it would take someone to hack your bluetooth signal, you're already done though I have heard of a security flaw in BT that allows an attacker to put your device in pairing mode and hack the key used...

tikune

Apr 23, 2007
Bluetooth should not be thought of as particularly useful for syncing anything of a significant size. Transferring even a small movie file between devices is likely to take ten minutes or more. I've never been particularly enamoured with Bluetooth, but it can be useful for exchanging vCards or ringtones with devices that can't be easily synced otherwise.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I'm all for syncing via Wifi. If that's not there then syncing wirelessly some other way has to be possible, so next in line is BT then EDGE (doubt it). Syncing contact, bookmarks, events, etc, would be great. Then if I need to do a big sync (shows/movies) then I'd plug it in.

May 30, 2007

Welcome to EI.com!

-K
So are you saying that I will not be able to sync the iPhone with all of my contacts and calendar items that I have in Entourage?