AppTap just froze my phone permantely

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jimmaye

Sep 21, 2007
downloaded the apptap thing like 2 days ago just to get some games on the phone, then made the fatal mistake in downloaded vnotes. i tried to record a voice message & once i hit finish, the phone just froze. i gave it a few minutes just to see if it would start working again, but nothing. i tried hitting the home button, holding the sleep button, hitting all the buttons, phone would not respond, just stayed stuck on the same screen. after about 30 minutes i realized the phone was pretty much done, i am now downloading the software to do a restore on the phone, this is my last hope. i am highly upset that now i am going to lose everything in my phone IF this even works...i will let post again once the restore is done.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Are you sure you've tried holding the top button and the home button at the same time for 5+ seconds? This has not failed me yet when forcing the iPhone to shut down when a program hangs.

Just an FYI if you're new to this, but this type of system hang is common when you install new programs. There used to be a time when any new program added would soft reset your phone, but lately thats not so much the case. Sometimes this causes whatever program you're using to freeze for whatever reason. You can reproduce this with iFlickr, install it and try to take a picture without first resetting your phone first... You'll lock up every time, guaranteed.

So, to recap, hold the homebutton down, then press the top power button. Hold them for 5 seconds, and the phone should turn off on the 6th.

Also, holding down just the home key will force quit an application if you hadn't tried that already.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, restoring is overkill. Home + power. Home + power. Home + power. Hold it down till everything's off.

It's happened to us all (even in non-hacked mode).

jimmaye

Sep 21, 2007
trust me...i held every possible button & every possible combonation of buttons for like 10 minutes. the phone wasn't even recognizing when i would plug it into the wall. needless to say i had to do the restore. all is well now except that i lost all my photos which isn't really a big deal. my contacts are safe which is all i was concerned about.

i will more than likely reinstall apptap, but i am staying away from vnotes for now.

neurovurt

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
this exact thing happened to me when i first started modding my phone. i think my case had something to do with installing an app through ibrickr, then installing it again through apptapp, or some related thing. now i just make sure to do all application installs and uninstalls through apptapp only.