AppTap Rocks!

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I know it's been probably covered here, but I just wanted say I LOVE AppTap!

If you don't know what it is and you've been wanting a GUI-based way to load Installer onto your iPhone, go here: http://iPhone.nullriver.com/beta/

I had a tech-saavy friend install it for me. But, with the update to 1.02, and my restore snafu, I had to get it back on there lickety-split. As my friend was out sick, I was thrilled to find this for the semi-saavy me! Wheee!

Oh, I should note this works with Mac OSX. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Ive been wondering, when I install and app via installer, how do I open it?
It is really simple, you need to install the "launcher" application, since the home page does not scroll and all of your installed applications will be there and you open with a click on the icon. In fact the installer app, the launcher app, and then 2 more apps will fit the home screen without needing to use the launcher. Couldn't be simpler.

Sele

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
It is really simple, you need to install the "launcher" application, since the home page does not scroll and all of your installed applications will be there and you open with a click on the icon. In fact the installer app, the launcher app, and then 2 more apps will fit the home screen without needing to use the launcher. Couldn't be simpler.

Sele
Yeah, I've had the launcher App, but it only shows the apps I installed using iBrickr on the PC, not installer.

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Did you install the launcher app via the installer app or through iBrickr? I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I installed the launcher app via the installer app and everything automatically shows up in there. However, I have not used iBrickr so I'm not sure what difference that makes.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
ibrickr uses the PXL distribution package, which for all intents and purposes is different than what Installer.app is using. I don't know what the differences are, other than the two don't really recognize eachother's files. I would venture to say this is because they don't actually search anything, they just log what they've installed, and if it's not in their log, it doesn't exist.

In any case, I would advise everyone to use ibrickr to install Installer.app only, and let Installer.app do everything from then on out on the iPhone itself.

The PXL repository has the Zork game files, which was a nice find I'll give them that, but stick with Installer for everything else!

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
AppTapp

Ok please help me... lol.. I have ApP Tapp, on my phone now. Im using a MAC. Non intel based. Now whats next? On my phone I have an icon for installer, launcher, and terminal. How do I get things on here now. I was reading that you can get apps and stuff right from the phone now, but how. Im so confused with all this stuff. -DeMo

If you don't know what it is and you've been wanting a GUI-based way to load Installer onto your iPhone, go here: http://iPhone.nullriver.com/beta/

I had a tech-saavy friend install it for me. But, with the update to 1.02, and my restore snafu, I had to get it back on there lickety-split. As my friend was out sick, I was thrilled to find this for the semi-saavy me! Wheee!

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
hidden apps using apptapp

I notice I have hidden apps using app tapps.. how do I get them to appear on page 2? I don't want them hidden. A little light in the
lower right corner of the screen would light up. Very freaky looking. I thought my phone broke, but then when id tap it, other programs (glitchy though) would open up and be available to me.

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
app tapp

I notice I have hidden apps using app tapps.. how do I get them to appear on page 2? I don't want them hidden. A little light in the
lower right corner of the screen would light up. Very freaky looking. I thought my phone broke, but then when id tap it, other programs (glitchy though) would open up and be available to me.

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
app tapp

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Ok please help me... lol.. I have ApP Tapp, on my phone now. Im using a MAC. Non intel based. Now whats next? On my phone I have an icon for installer, launcher, and terminal. How do I get things on here now. I was reading that you can get apps and stuff right from the phone now, but how. Im so confused with all this stuff. -DeMo
DeMo,

On your iPhone, touch the "Installer" icon. Up pops that list of applications. Within a few seconds, the screen will go dim and you'll see "Refreshing Sources" bar fill up and then a "Registering Packages" bar. After that, you'll either be back at the list of apps you can install. Or, if you've already installed any apps (Installer included), you'll see the "Update" page with apps that have updates available. This happens rather frequently as there are hundreds, if not thousands, of developers out there feverishly perfecting these awesome little apps for us.

I just usually go ahead and update everything.

To install apps, you simply select the one you want, and a page pops up with detailed info about that app with an "Install" button up top and a "More Info" button (usually) at the bottom. Choosing this "More Info" button takes you to Safari and a webpage with more detailed (not always, though!) info. Pressing the "Install" button installs the app on your phone.

The newly installed app then shows up on your iPhone's desktop.

Now, if you want to hold more apps than visible, you'll need to install "Launcher". Pressing this will pull up another page with all your installed apps.

If you want to show more than 14 apps on your window or you want to move icons around (I never use SMS, so why have it at the top?), install "rSBT" and you'll be able to bump the number of icons to the full 16 and move unused icons to the launcher page! Suh-wheet!

Did that help?

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
App Tapp

I download apptapp and have the installer on my phone. I also download a lot of stuff but nothing comes up on my phone. How the hell do I access these new programs? Im at a loss here...

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
apptapps

Ok I did what you said.. This is the issue. I click the little install button and it does install but its not popping up on my iPhone desktop. But I do have it because i have the option to uninstall it. Where can the file be going? I have regualar icons on phone plus the installer, but nothing more. ? -DeMo

DeMo,

On your iPhone, touch the "Installer" icon. Up pops that list of applications. Within a few seconds, the screen will go dim and you'll see "Refreshing Sources" bar fill up and then a "Registering Packages" bar. After that, you'll either be back at the list of apps you can install. Or, if you've already installed any apps (Installer included), you'll see the "Update" page with apps that have updates available. This happens rather frequently as there are hundreds, if not thousands, of developers out there feverishly perfecting these awesome little apps for us.

I just usually go ahead and update everything.

To install apps, you simply select the one you want, and a page pops up with detailed info about that app with an "Install" button up top and a "More Info" button (usually) at the bottom. Choosing this "More Info" button takes you to Safari and a webpage with more detailed (not always, though!) info. Pressing the "Install" button installs the app on your phone.

The newly installed app then shows up on your iPhone's desktop.

Now, if you want to hold more apps than visible, you'll need to install "Launcher". Pressing this will pull up another page with all your installed apps.

If you want to show more than 14 apps on your window or you want to move icons around (I never use SMS, so why have it at the top?), install "rSBT" and you'll be able to bump the number of icons to the full 16 and move unused icons to the launcher page! Suh-wheet!

Did that help?

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Ok I did what you said.. This is the issue. I click the little install button and it does install but its not popping up on my iPhone desktop. But I do have it because i have the option to uninstall it. Where can the file be going? I have regualar icons on phone plus the installer, but nothing more. ? -DeMo
How many icons do you have on your SpringBoard screen? I believe the default is set to 12 or 14.

Uninstall everything except for Installer and "Community Sources". Then install rSBT and Launcher.

Now, Installer, Launcher and rSBT should show up on your desktop or SpringBoard as I'm learning it's called.

Click on rSBT and click "Settings". There you should see two selections: Dock Icons and SpringBoard Icons. There'll be numbers after both.

The Dock should show a 4. That's the most you can have there and those are the ones along the bottom: Phone, Mail, Safari and iPod are the defaults. SpringBoard, you can click and change the number of icons there. 16 being the max. Choose 16. Then click "Settings" again.

Now, in the icon list, you can see what apps are where in their position on the SpringBoard. Select one you want to move, and press the Dn or Up button to move that icon up or down in the listing arrangement.

You should be able to then configure your layout as you so desire.

There's an app out, I hear that adds extra pages to the SpringBoard negating the need for Launcher. I still haven't found that one, yet.