AptBackup Saved Me!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I didn't think it would've worked but before I jailbroke my phone again, I had installed AptBackup & backed up all my Cydia apps. It only took about 2 seconds for the app to backup everything. So, I backed up my iPhone & updated the FW to 2.2. Then, I used Pwnage to jailbreak it, restored it in iTunes, installed Aptbackup through Cydia & finally restored it. It took a few minutes but it automatically rebooted my iPhone & voila! Every single thing I installed from Cydia was back on my phone. The only app I had to setup again was Intelliscreen. It saved me so much time. I would highly recommend having Aptbackup on your phone.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely try it out later.

This is making me more eager to jailbreak.

madman555

Jul 18, 2007
After installing AptBackup, make sure you DO NOT resync with iTunes. I did that and AptBackup wouldn't let me restore.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
you're suppose to use this app the moment you do restore. If you read the more info part it will tell you this. The backup file is stored in that one time you sync your phone. So if you resync again the file won't get saved again (unless you do another backup). That's where some have trouble and complain the app didn't work for them.

madman555

Jul 18, 2007
Why's this?
What makes it conflict?
I think that's how it's supposed to work. You have to run it right after a restore. The description basically says that too. I was following instructions from some other site that said to sync with iTunes after installing AptBackup so that the backup file will be on your phone. But now that I think about it, it should have been there already when I did the restore.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i ran it, updated my phone, and then jailbroke, reinstalled it, and it didn't work, hmmmm. i think i'm gonna install some apps and then try it again and see what works

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Didn't work for me either.....I synced the iPhone after I restored though so maybe that's where I messed up. I guess after I restored the backup I should have ran aptbackup before syncing all my music, and other files.

teambash

Bronze
Aug 20, 2008
i hit back up in apt back before i did a restore then restored my phone then jailbroke reinstalled apt back up and it did NOT work

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
You NEED to sync your phone after you use aptbackup so the file is saved. That's why most of you are not getting it work.

1. Install Aptbackup from Cydia
2. Open app and hit backup.
3. Sync your phone. (DO NOT resync again or else the file will not be there or you will have to reopen aptbackup and backup again.)
4. Restore your phone and rejailbreak.
5. Reinstall aptbackup from Cydia.
6. Run the app and hit restore. (if you did it correctly it will start downloading all the previously installed apps. It will take a few minutes and finally reboots when it's done.)

teambash

Bronze
Aug 20, 2008
That's how I did it like u said above and no work

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
when I jailbroke my phone, I didn't set up as new phone. I restored it from the last backup(immediately before updating to 2.2). Are you guys trying it after setting up as new phone?

teambash

Bronze
Aug 20, 2008
when I jailbroke my phone, I didn't set up as new phone. I restored it from the last backup(immediately before updating to 2.2). Are you guys trying it after setting up as new phone?
I didn't set up as a new phone and still no workie

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
so i installed aptbackup. then i connected my iPhone to iTunes and iTunes detected my phone as a new iPhone. the only option it would give me was restore from a back up or set up as a new phone. WTF! that is F-ing BS. how does an app manage to do that?

Xsouldeath

Aug 10, 2009
Okay

Failed at using apt-backup. According to a guy who posted previously he makes it seem like you need to click backup everytime you sync your ipod with your computer. and since mine syncs automatically, i guess before you plug it in you have to make apt-backup make a backup.. anyways..

I used apt-backup right before wiping and restoring to 3.0 firmware.. my cydia was dead, so I restored from 3.0 firmware, re-jailbroke, installed apt-backup from cydia,synced some applications from “restore from backup” in iTunes, and stopped it after it started to transfer songs since I have 32GB worth of that other stuff,… next I clicked restore in Apt-backup, restore. It said restoring you’re phone will power off when done or whatever, so in about 30 seconds it restarts and all the apps synced from iTunes were gone.. and now I synced with iTunes this morning and it must have backed up the blank iTunes with hardly any apps. It said “removing applications”.. so I will restore from my previous backup by selecting the particular backup I need.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
A similar app, PkgBackup, saves its info as a text file in your contacts list. When you sync, it gets backed up along with the rest of your contacts. I think that this is a little safer way of doing things.

But I'm glad the OP was able to restore so quickly and successfuly!

Xsouldeath

Aug 10, 2009
well those backup solutions are okay, i guess , but you don't preserve settings of cydia apps? .. i think it would be nice to image the ipod touch itself and then restore. as for songs i don';t mind re-syncing all that, but app settings like my logins i need them saved ..aka blogpress.. logins to like 3 sites..
if i could just find a foolproof way to fix cydia all would be well.. instead i will be restoring and re-jailbreaking over and over lolz