Are battery life and sharpness on the iPhone 4 really superior to 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by TH55, Nov 16, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

This has been widely reported. I have turned off all notifications and location servies and downloaded the 5.01 update and I still have awful battery life. I am strongly considering switching to the 4, I don't really care about Siri enough to compromise two things as important as image and battery life. What should I do?

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I have probably on of the worst 4S battery's. I've noticed a 2+ hours difference between wifi and 3G. it gets a bit better when I'm constantly killing apps in multitasking. I have no clue what's causing this, but regardless I'm not missing my iPhone4 anymore. The camera, Siri and speed is way too sweet for me to look at that ONE negative aspect of the 4S.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

How bout the sharpness/screen quality? A lot of ppl saying the 4s looks more washed out

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I had a replacement shipped from Apple that was yellow. I returned it right away. Mine has slightly warmer colors, I actually like it better than my 4 screen.

5. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

All things considered the 4s is still far superior. To me the display on the 4 is not Better than the 4s

6. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i don't see why they didn't add a setting just for personal preference.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

what king of setting?

8. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

something like gs2 has. some folks say the gs2 screen colors look too bright/cartoonish, that's because the default setting is set that way. but you can change it to look more softer or brighter. now this is not the same setting as brightness. it's called screen mode.

Attached Files:

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

That's cool.

10. laughjimbo

laughjimbo Member
    Bronze

I have an iPhone 4 and so does my wife, she has my slightly older 16gb version and I changed that because I needed mo storage, there is a definite difference in screen colours but you only really notice it when you look at them side by side. Her screen looks brighter than mine as mine looks like it has a warmer, yellowish colour to everything ass hers looks cooler, brighter in colour. I returned mine and got a replacement and it is exactly the same.
    I am wondering whether to get the 4s in June next year or the new 5 if it's out. The 4s for me would be great as it has a faster data rate and Siri so I could use the voice to text feature. I use my phone for several hours everyday for tethering to my MacBook pro and iPad at work so faster data would be a bonus for me here in UK.

Laughjimbo

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

11. Shaun

Shaun Member
    Bronze

My battery life increased substantially when I turned off the time zone gps toggle in system settings. I've showed some friends where to turn it off and everyone of them the little arrow has been blue meaning an active gps at that time. If this thing is constantly searching for a new time zone when I live in the uk which just as one time zone it's a pointless waste of power. So far today I've had the phone unplugged for 3 hours. Bluetooth and wifi on. A good half hours browsing and still 92% which is fine by me.

12. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

My wife's iPhone 4 battery lasts forever. She recharges every third day or so. I charge every night with my 4S. Actually I would charge every night anyway but I don't have a choice. Recharge overnight or it would be dead by noon the next day.

Screen differences? Hard to tell really.

Ultimately, I would really prefer to have a 4. There isn't that big a difference in speed and, for now anyway, Siri is way too unreliable for it to be a continued selling point. When Siri works the first time every time, then the 4S is leaps and bounds over the 4. For now, not so much.

13. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

she must hardly ever use it to charge every third day. I mean even on days when I think I haven't been using it I can rarely make it past 24 hours.

14. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

She doesn't use it nearly as much as I. That's for sure.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have a great display and great battery life on my 4S. The battery life is identical to that of my old iPhone 4. I'm running iOS 5.0.

There seems to be a wide variance in peoples' experiences with battery life; I wish I knew what the variable was.

16. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

Yu
    You've said, I believe, that you always keep your iPhone plugged in when you're not using it. Could that have any bearing on the issue? I hope so since I'm doing the same thing!

17. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

My 4S battery sucks. I can't go over night without charging. Wife's 4 can go 2 or 3 days before she hits the 20% warning. I personally am thinking that it's not a software issue. This phone is going to be like this forever....much like the 4 and the antenna thing. They said it would be fixed with software, but wasn't. The 4S battery was supposed to be fixed with the update.

The only way to get the 4s to have close to 4 in battery life is to turn on airplane mode on the 4s and leave it that way all day.

18. kimo

kimo Member
    Bronze

I have no problems with my battery life on my 4S.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Same here. It seems like it's an individual iPhone problem. Hardware?

20. kimo

kimo Member
    Bronze

I have a friend who has a 4 and when he goes to work inside the hospital his phone battery drains down in trying to maintaining a good connection with the cell tower.