Are SIM cards interchangeable between the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I have an iPhone 4S that is not eligible for upgrade. My wife has a 4 that is eligible. When I ordered the 4S it came with the Sim card preloaded. My question is if I order a 5 with my wife's upgrade eligibility, will I still be able to transfer my number to the 5 or will there be a som card issue that will not allow this? I guess the question is are the Sim cards interchangeable between the 4S and the 5?

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You can use the other line's upgrade. It will be less hassle if you can go into the store & do it that way or preorder & cut your sim to match the nano or preorder & take it into the store & have them give you a new sim. The 4S was the first time I upgraded with my actual line in a long time.

ashanes00

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
I have an iPhone 4S that is not eligible for upgrade. My wife has a 4 that is eligible. When I ordered the 4S it came with the Sim card preloaded. My question is if I order a 5 with my wife's upgrade eligibility, will I still be able to transfer my number to the 5 or will there be a som card issue that will not allow this? I guess the question is are the Sim cards interchangeable between the 4S and the 5?
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm using my sisters upgrade and pre ordering it online. I guess we have to go into a store and buy a nano sim card to put into the 5. Or can we transfer all our data and number using iCloud?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
From my experience of cross transfer, there is no need to buy any new sim. The iPhone 5 will come with the new sim in it. Then you can either go into the store or call them to transfer the upgrade to your iPhone. Do not activate the iPhone 5 until you get it transferred to your phone.

Also, I verified this information earlier by calling AT&T corporate.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm using my sisters upgrade and pre ordering it online. I guess we have to go into a store and buy a nano sim card to put into the 5. Or can we transfer all our data and number using iCloud?
If you go into a corporate store they will give you the sim & set your line up. To get all your info transferred you will need to do a backup on iCloud (make sure you have enough cloud space) or do a backup on iTunes & restore your new phone from the backup.

ashanes00

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
If you go into a corporate store they will give you the sim & set your line up. To get all your info transferred you will need to do a backup on iCloud (make sure you have enough cloud space) or do a backup on iTunes & restore your new phone from the backup.
So I can backup all my info and number onto iCloud right? No need to go into the store if the iP5 comes with a nano sim?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
So I can backup all my info and number onto iCloud right? No need to go into the store if the iP5 comes with a nano sim?
There is no need at all to go into the store, unless you feel better doing that. I was told by AT&T Corporate that you can just call them and they will transfer the upgrade to your number.

Yes, you can backup using iCloud or iTunes.

ashanes00

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
There is no need at all to go into the store, unless you feel better doing that. I was told by AT&T Corporate that you can just call them and they will transfer the upgrade to your number.

Yes, you can backup using iCloud or iTunes.
Thank you kindly, sir!

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You are given 5GB on iCloud. If you have more than that on your phone you will have to purchase more storage or use iTunes to backup. The iPhone 5 comes with a nano sim that will be set up with the number you used to upgrade. Last time I tried to have my line transferred to a sim intended for another line they wouldn't do it but had in the past. Guess its a crapshoot but at worst you have to go into the store.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I did this when I had the 3GS and bought the iPhone 4 (which had a different size SIM card). I bought the 4 on my grandmother's line. I actually had a bit of a problem with them on the phone so I went into the store. They popped out the SIM, put a new one in and registered that SIM to my number.

When I bought the phone, since it was for a new line, I had to pick a new data plan. But they simply deleted that new one out of the count and used my grandfathered unlimited.

So my suggestion would be to go to the store after the phone arrives. You may have to wait a bit (especially if you don't get the phone until the evening) but at least you know it'll work fine.

trido

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
so the nano sim that ships with iPhone 5 is actually still blank? No number is really on it UNLESS you activate it?
Is that correct?

Thanks

From my experience of cross transfer, there is no need to buy any new sim. The iPhone 5 will come with the new sim in it. Then you can either go into the store or call them to transfer the upgrade to your iPhone. Do not activate the iPhone 5 until you get it transferred to your phone.

Also, I verified this information earlier by calling AT&T corporate.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
so the nano sim that ships with iPhone 5 is actually still blank? No number is really on it UNLESS you activate it?
Is that correct?

Thanks
I'm not sure if it's blank, but the iPhone 5 is not workable unless activated. If activated without having AT&T switch the information in their system first, then the iPhone will have the phone line number that it was upgraded for.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I believe the SIM that comes in the phone is set to the # of the line you bought it for. At least that is what I had believed.
Yes, the SIM is set to the number of the line you bought it for, but if you did an upgrade for another line with another available upgrade, you can have AT&T do a transfer before you activate.