Are the MacBook Pro similar to Linux?

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Hey everyone,

Are the MacBook Pro similar to Linux, or Unix such as Unix as BSD flavors? I always thought BSD, was complicated as for the commands. I have a eMachine desktop PC with MS Windows 7. Would a MacBook be similar, but the same as to MS products? I know MS products has run, or you can use DOS commands. I just use the regular Windows which is very easy to use.

How easy, or difficult is it to use a MacBook Pro? Does Apple sell MacBook products without all of this command line langauge, such as /dev? I don't even know what it means. Could someone please give me some info?

Thank you for any replies,

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Mac OSX runs a similar type of Linux shell. Visit your local Apple store and launch Terminal. Commands like, ifconfig, reboot... etc etc work just as you would expect them too.

Microsoft and Apple are two separate companies with two totally different types of operating systems. Although there are similarities they're both very different.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Hey iPhonewarrior,

I was looking to save up to get a Mac, but I don't like Linux.

BTW, I'll PM besides this thread. Someone on a different forum gave me a list of people to contact about jailbreaking.

In the meantime, you can reply to this thread about Mac OSX.

Mac OSX runs a similar type of Linux shell. Visit your local Apple store and launch Terminal. Commands like, ifconfig, reboot... etc etc work just as you would expect them too.

Microsoft and Apple are two separate companies with two totally different types of operating systems. Although there are similarities they're both very different.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Mac's are great, but you still haven't stated what you wish to do with one?

Linux is what the OS is based on, so you know it's more stable than crappy Windows (yep, I'm a complete Apple fanboy).

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Mac's are great, but you still haven't stated what you wish to do with one?

Linux is what the OS is based on, so you know it's more stable than crappy Windows (yep, I'm a complete Apple fanboy).

I just don't care for the Linux command line. I wish to do what Windows can do?

Could 32-bit Windows apps be run under Mac?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm confused. Have you ever used a Mac before? Everything you do doesn't have to be done through cmd-line.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I'm confused. Have you ever used a Mac before? Everything you do doesn't have to be done through cmd-line.
No. Never used one.

Does Mac support 32-bit MS apps? I am familiar with MS apps only.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
You can always boot camp and install Windows on a Mac.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Chris, what would we expect an Apple website to say! :D MS website probably has an opinion, too. I have both, and just downloaded Ubuntu, which I am looking forward to playing with. I guess they all have their pros & cons, depending on what you are used to and what you want to do.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
If I understand you correctly, you like Windows because the GUI interface (Graphical User Interface) makes life easier, rather than running DOS commands. And you were uncertain of Apple because of you didn't like Linux command line interface. Windows and Apple are both based off of command driven OS's (DOS and Lunix/Unix respectively). Both over the years have built GUI shells to accomplish what users want without having to remember all the commands to run your OS.

If I remember history right, Apple went GUI first and Windows made sure to "follow" all the innovations that Apple created.

IMO, Apple makes a more stable and secure OS where Windows is not as stable and not as secure but offers more variety in many application aspects. Just my $.02

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
And I believe that coming from a Windows user, it'll take you a while to get accustomed to Mac. However, once you do, you'll know that you've made the right decision. I made the switch in 2008, and I've never looked back.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just don't care for the Linux command line. I wish to do what Windows can do?

Could 32-bit Windows apps be run under Mac?
You don't have to use Terminal commands. I bet most people with Macs don't even know what Terminal is, let alone have ever opened it. Apple computers are easy to use and you can do all the stuff you can do on Windows on a Mac. Yes, you can run Windows programs on a Mac. Check out Parallels.