Are there any apps to turn your iPhone into a *REAL* mouse?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I HATE trackpads on laptops. Soooo frustratingly sloow and tedious to use! But I don't want to lug around a mouse everywhere. Are there any apps designed to turn the iPhone into a mouse? All of the ones I've seen are trackpads, even though they are titled "mouse."

Aaaaarg! WHY would anyone need to use the iPhone as a trackpad? Laptops have them built in!

Some of the ones that might work cost money, but I don't want to waste my money if it's yet another trackpad. I've tried looking at reviews and they all seem to love using the trackpad features and either ignore the mouse features, or the app doesn't have mouse features.

If there's no app, I don't get why. The camera could be used as the "laser." Touch the screen for left click. Two fingers for right click. 3 fingers for middle click. Scroll up/down left/right. If it hasn't, I just don't get why it hasn't been developed yet. Seems the idea of trackpad is so easy to implement people can't even imagine using the iPhone as a real mouse.

Any hope for me?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I guess not.

I can not believe I'm the only person who has thought about this. The fact that I'm alone on so many iPhone issues really makes me question the Apple fanbase's mentality. Do any of you think outside the box or do you just do what Uncle Steve tells you to do?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm thinking that a lot of the "fanbase" here don't care about turning the iPhone into a mouse. Just because you're having a bad day (judging by your multiple threads recently), don't rail against the rest of us for not rushing over and giving you hugs.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Mobile Mouse has a gyro mouse mode. That's about as close as you'll get.

While your idea is interesting, I don't think many people would want to work that way, hence its non-existence. Hard to imagine the world doesn't think like you, I know, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Nosaj13

Feb 27, 2009
try remotex. It's free but I believe you'll have to pay .99 for the mouse upgrade. Just install the remoteX server on your computer and there you go. works really well.

Nosaj13

Feb 27, 2009
scratch my last post...just re-read yours and whati'm suggesting is more of a trackpad.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Mobile Mouse has a gyro mouse mode. That's about as close as you'll get.
I might have to check that out, though picking up the iPhone to move the cursor seems a bit too much work for normal tasks.

While your idea is interesting, I don't think many people would want to work that way, hence its non-existence. Hard to imagine the world doesn't think like you, I know, but that's just how it goes sometimes.
LOL Believe me. I know all too well that I'm not normal.

You know what I actually find hard to imagine is that there are a lot of people out there who decide they don't like the built in track pad on their laptops but decide turning their iPhone into a trackpad for their computer is somehow better. I mean, there's at least 10 turn-your-iphone-into-a-trackpad apps in the AppStore. I just don't understand the usefulness of those apps.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think the assumption that the camera, immersed in nearly complete darkness, can function as a mouse laser is a bit much. And not much better with flash on--nor would I think that is healthy for the camera to reflect that back into the lens like that. Now the accelerometer/gyroscope could likely do it but I would be forced to wonder who would really buy such an app. Physically sliding an iPhone around as a mouse? I don't see the attraction.

As stated Mobile Mouse Pro is the closest... and that is more of an air mode... and I find that a bit unwieldy. I find its trackpad mode at least usable... and it's not quite like a trackpad on a laptop. Laptop trackpads do not, as of yet, display icons of running apps, menus, act as touch keyboards, etc.

Michael

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You know what I actually find hard to imagine is that there are a lot of people out there who decide they don't like the built in track pad on their laptops but decide turning their iPhone into a trackpad for their computer is somehow better. I mean, there's at least 10 turn-your-iphone-into-a-trackpad apps in the AppStore. I just don't understand the usefulness of those apps.
those apps are cool if you're doing a presentation with a projector or something where you need a mouse far away from the computer. I doubt anyone use them for a direct replacement for the trackpad.

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
those apps are cool if you're doing a presentation with a projector or something where you need a mouse far away from the computer. I doubt anyone use them for a direct replacement for the trackpad.
I use Mobile Mouse Pro to control my MBP while using my TV as an auxiliary display when in closed mode. Works perfectly as a remote control. With my newly herniated L5-S1 vertebrae, my lower back appreciates the convenience...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I might have to check that out, though picking up the iPhone to move the cursor seems a bit too much work for normal tasks.

LOL Believe me. I know all too well that I'm not normal.

I use Mobile mouse all the time. I have my laptop on the coffee table and I can sit back, relax and use my phone to navigate and even type. It has a keyboard that comes up when you launch it, but a quick shake ( I prefer a tap against my leg) and it goes away. That also makes it come back too.
I have tried the gyro mouse feature, and I was not impressed. It's kind of difficult to navigate with since you have to hold the phone in the air to move it around. The "track pad" type mouse works so much smoother and gives you left and right button control and ever a virtual "scroll wheel". One of my most used apps to date.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Mobile Mouse is indeed awesome. The gyro takes some getting used to, but it's actually very well-implemented (at least on an iPhone 4). I bought a Gyration (same company that eventually made the Wii controller) gyro mouse over a decade ago, so I have some experience with them... once you practice a while, you notice that arm movement only confuses things and it only take very small moves of your wrist to accurately move around.

But yeah, I use both modes equally with my living room setup. The really nice thing is custom templates for common programs like Media Player, iTunes, Firefox, etc. Makes navigating said apps a breeze.