Are there still people convinced we don't really need user replaceable batteries?

Do we need a user replaceable battery?

• Total voters

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Do we need a user replaceable battery?

I remember before launch there was an "us" and "them" mentality on the forums of people who were for URB's and against URB's.

I was for it because I know how easy it is to be caught without an outlet in many places you don't have your car at, and basically sometimes you don't have an hour to sit around waiting for a decent charge.

Even though battery life should improve with more charging and usage of the new G3 phones, it is becoming pretty apparent it's going to be a stretch to get a good day's usage out of the phone on a single full charge without some sort of midday top-off.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I voted yes because a replaceable battery isn't really much of a concern for me.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
If Apple says you don't need it, you don't need it. Stop thinking for yourself.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Who said it wasn't user replaceable. Take the screws out and replace it.:cool:

It's no longer soldered.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/3g-disassembled.html

Edit

Could start another poll that ask "How many people have ever replaced a battery in there cell phone?"

In 12 years I have only replaced 1 battery in the many phones I have owned and just because it melted and almost caught on fire.

CSRobe02

Bronze
Jun 27, 2008
I voted No simply because every other phone that has a user replaceable battery has a battery door that eventually becomes loose, or at least develops some sort of 'play'. One of the many things that I love about the iPhone is how solid it feels, and I think that would definitely be compromised if Apple was to put in a battery door for a user replaceable battery.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I never carried a spare battery for my Treo. I always had a secondary way of charging it. If you're that paranoid, why not get one of the several AA-based chargers? You can always carry them with you and you need not keep them charged. When you need more, hit up a store and buy some. Some of the chargers will also let you use AC/USB/12vdc/etc... Much more of a bargain than a $80 battery pack that you both have to keep charged and keep from shorting on everything.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
SteveTim- You changed your poll question and now it doesn't match what you wrote in the thread...

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
SteveTim- You changed your poll question and now it doesn't match what you wrote in the thread...
I didn't change it but I can see where it would seem confusing. Either way if you vote yes or no, it still coincides with what your stance is on the subject.

I will make the header and poll question the same now just to clear it up, though. Thx for the input.

And just to note. I had a Treo 750 and never used a spare battery either. No need to. It didn't have 3g, GPS, push, as large a screen, as good a form factor, usable internet, or anything else that I like about iPhones. Basically, it was an email, text, and call device. Not much else. So, no, you probably wouldn't need too many spare anythings for it.

And for a phone that is going to cost me $400 or $500 to replace if they see I have damaged it by plugging in some gadget to charge it, I think I would be happy to spend $80(speculative) on an Apple certified replaceable battery.

Bottom line is some people are power users, and some aren't. I'm in between but would like the option of drop-in power on demand without being tethered to anything. It's the whole idea behind "mobile phone".

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
I still like the idea of being able to change batteries on the fly without having to put your phone on the charger.

brzman1

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Miami, Fl
Well, having an extra battery is not a bad idea; however, I on the other hand, never had to replace my battery; I just managed my battery time usage. Have a charger at home (of course), in the car, and at work. That should be fine. And if your talking on it or surfing the web a great deal, have it hooked up to an outlet. When ever possible, you should have it hooked up to a power source. This will not hurt this type of battery. IMHO.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I had spare batteries for my Treos, WM devices and a couple of other cell phones. Rarely did I ever change them "on the fly". When I bought the 680, I purchased a spare battery just because 90% of the reviews came in with negative reports on the battery life. During the time I used it (replaced with the iPhone), I never changed the battery out. I gave the 680 to my wife and somehow lost the spare battery. She has had no trouble with it and she is away from a charging source most of the day. I will keep an eye on the comments for the 3G phone for a while before I make a move to buy one.