are they playing stupid or they are really...

tmoce

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Ok, everyone knows how big and well known the iPhone is. At least I thought it was. I recently started a new job and had the chance to show off my iPhone. A couple of people have commented " thats a cool phone" and things like that. Then one time I was at my computer and since I wanted some music I decided to use a the phones iPod with the speaker and was working when someone of the mature age approach me and started wondering where did the sound came from and picked up my iPhone thinking it was a radio. I mentioned that it was my phone too. She acted surprised obviously not knowing that such thing existed. I started wondering where the he'll this person has been living for the last couple of years.

Then as the Days went by people kept asking me "thats a phone too?" thats when I started asking myself " are these people playing stupid or they are just that ignorant? I mean I understand that some people do not have a clue in what world they live in but when I see a group of people in the same stage it makes me wonder whether I should find myself another job.

Has anyone of you encountered anything similar ?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
A lot of folks are just tied up with other things in life. Kids. Work. Whatever. And some wouldn't know if it was night or day without looking at their watch.

I'd just smile and let them in on the 'secret'.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have an 87 year old aunt that picked up my iPhone the other day and asked if she could use it to send pictures to her friends as she scrolled through the photo albums.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You would be shocked at the number of people that live under rocks. I hear of things daily that I take for granted that other people have no clue what I am talking about. I thought it was stupid that the government spent $42 million to send letters letting us know we were going to get money. But then I find people that had no clue, much less how much they were going to get. So I guess this doesn't faze me.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I want to know how not knowing what an iPhone is makes you ignorant. Ignorant is when you are basically rude without knowing yourself.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
A lot of folks are just tied up with other things in life. Kids. Work. Whatever. And some wouldn't know if it was night or day without looking at their watch.

I'd just smile and let them in on the 'secret'.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have an 87 year old aunt that picked up my iPhone the other day and asked if she could use it to send pictures to her friends as she scrolled through the photo albums.
Wow! Go Granny :p

(I know she's actually your aunt but......you know)

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
The following is a conversation I often find myself having with fellow pupils:
"Can you get the internet on that thing?"
"Yep"
"Nice...............................................................So can you go on myspace on that?"
"Yep"
"Nice...............................................................What about Google?"
"Yep"
"Nice"

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
The following is a conversation I often find myself having with fellow pupils:
"Can you get the internet on that thing?"
"Yep"
"Nice...............................................................So can you go on myspace on that?"
"Yep"
"Nice...............................................................What about Google?"
"Yep"
"Nice"
Thats EXACTLY what happens to me, I'm so tired of hearing the myspace question. I mean its cool and stuff but its been around for so long its gotten old....

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Wow! Go Granny :p

(I know she's actually your aunt but......you know)
:)

Funny thing is that she just arrived here about a year ago and probably never held a mobile phone prior to that. Now she's on Skype calling her friends across the world.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
:)

Funny thing is that she just arrived here about a year ago and probably never held a mobile phone prior to that. Now she's on Skype calling her friends across the world.
Wow LOL

My grandma and grandad live in Thailand, so I talk to them on skype, and my grandma has an iPod touch, though she is techno-stupid LOL

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I wonder how many iPhone owners could find the United States on a globe? Or tell us without looking it up what year man first set foot on the moon?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Heck no. We were sitting Easter Service yesterday and there was still about 20 minutes before it started, so I pulled it out to check on here, and the five or six people behind me (all had white hair and were obviosuly all over 65) said "Is that an iPhone?!? Let me see that thing! Ooh it's soo shiny!". It was rather amusing.

- John

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
while these stories are pretty funny I MUST say that the absolute best is when other people I know come up to me out of the randomness of day! and reach out and tap it fast or scroll with their finger and walk away

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
while these stories are pretty funny I MUST say that the absolute best is when other people I know come up to me out of the randomness of day! and reach out and tap it fast or scroll with their finger and walk away
With me, that would be a good way to get a finger gnawed off.