Are they taking Security Deposits for iPhones?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Ok,

I'm flustered as to why ATT wont' allow the iPhone to be put on a businesss name. Considering I got iPhone and taken it home and set it up under my personal name, after filling out all the info, what If it requires that I have to put a security deposit in order to activate service. If I refuse, will I get to take the iPhone back for a full refund?

I see the 10% restocking fee but If in order to activate, I have to open the darn box and connect it to iTunes, than I would be unfomfortable with that.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ok,

I'm flustered as to why ATT wont' allow the iPhone to be put on a businesss name. Considering I got iPhone and taken it home and set it up under my personal name, after filling out all the info, what If it requires that I have to put a security deposit in order to activate service. If I refuse, will I get to take the iPhone back for a full refund?

I see the 10% restocking fee but If in order to activate, I have to open the darn box and connect it to iTunes, than I would be unfomfortable with that.
Yes if it has not been opened. IF it has been opened, then you must pay a 10% restocking fee.:mad:

In these situations, if you think you might have some credit issues, it would be best to get credit pre-approval before buying the phone. After credit pre-approval, you can just input a code during the activation process.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I could forsee this being a little problem for people who take the phone and who feel that paying a $500 security deposit is stupid considering they have good credit.

I don't know how the security deposit stuff is working these days, I have been with Nextel for over 7years, so I don't know how wireless carriers are acting in regards to this area.

Why should I have to pay the 10% restocking since now they have changed the terms of agreement when I purchased the iPhone under the impression of no need to security deposits. Would you aree to pay $60 restocking fee?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I could forsee this being a little problem for people who take the phone and who feel that paying a $500 security deposit is stupid considering they have good credit.

I don't know how the security deposit stuff is working these days, I have been with Nextel for over 7years, so I don't know how wireless carriers are acting in regards to this area.

Why should I have to pay the 10% restocking since now they have changed the terms of agreement when I purchased the iPhone under the impression of no need to security deposits. Would you aree to pay $60 restocking fee?
If they have good credit, they won't be forced to pay a deposit.;)

Also, you can get it pre-approved before you buy the phone. If you need a high deposit then would be the time to back out.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I would consider myself having good credit(around 670), but because I never had a wireless cell phone under my name before could make them try to collect a security deposit, which would be a deal breaker for me.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I would consider myself having good credit(around 670), but because I never had a wireless cell phone under my name before could make them try to collect a security deposit, which would be a deal breaker for me.
Then get pre-approved in the store before you buy it. If they want a deposit then walk. That'll just be more for everybody else and you won't have to put up a deposit.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I have significantly better credit than you and they still require a $150 deposit for me, but it is due to the fact that I am relatively young and have not yet built up an extensive record.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
If they have good credit, they won't be forced to pay a deposit.;)

Also, you can get it pre-approved before you buy the phone. If you need a high deposit then would be the time to back out.
I have a credit rating of 630....is that good or bad? i know 700+ is best..
BTW.. I just came back from an AT&T store..they told me that they are not doing credit checks before hand..it happens when you activate the phone....i think AT&T reps are clueless. any thoughts?

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Then get pre-approved in the store before you buy it. If they want a deposit then walk. That'll just be more for everybody else and you won't have to put up a deposit.
Ok, For me I will get pre-approved before I buy, but for the rest of the clueless people who go into the Apple store and pickup the iPhone as if they were buying an iPod and go home, open up the box, connect, fill out the info and see that they want lets say $500 deposit, you disagree and say, hell with this!, i'll take it back and expect a full refund. You get there and they say, sorry, 10% ($60 will re deducted for open box). I won't be to happy with that unless they made some clear disclosures at the time of purchase.

The at-home activation might cause that problem vs. the people who take care of everything at the store before purchase.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
BTW.. I just came back from an AT&T store..they told me that they are not doing credit checks before hand..it happens when you activate the phone....i think AT&T reps are clueless. any thoughts?
I don't have any idea whether your credit rating is good or bad. I just don't know enough about credit ratings to answer.

This is from the At&t/ iPhone FAQ page:

Activation

Q. How do I activate iPhone?
A.
You activate iPhone in a whole new way—using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address.
The credit approval for your AT&T service also happens on your computer. It’s part of activating through iTunes, but if you’d rather have your credit pre-approved before you leave the store, an AT&T store representative can help you with that.
You will also select an available plan during activation.

I don't think they want to do any work.;)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ok, For me I will get pre-approved before I buy, but for the rest of the clueless people who go into the Apple store and pickup the iPhone as if they were buying an iPod and go home, open up the box, connect, fill out the info and see that they want lets say $500 deposit, you disagree and say, hell, i'll take it back and expect a full refund.

The at-home activation might cause that problem vs. the people who take care of everything at the store before purchase.
I'm sure they'll make them aware of the return requirements before the purchase. It seems like it's an Apple requirement more than an At&t requirement. In the computer industry everything is a 14 return policy. Check Best Buy and Circuit City. You get 30 days on everything except computers. With computers you only get 14. I guess because this phone will be syncing with computers, there's just too much chance of user error causing damage.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I don't have any idea whether your credit rating is good or bad. I just don't know enough about credit ratings to answer.

This is from the At&t/ iPhone FAQ page:

Activation

Q. How do I activate iPhone?
A. You activate iPhone in a whole new way—using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address.
The credit approval for your AT&T service also happens on your computer. It’s part of activating through iTunes, but if you’d rather have your credit pre-approved before you leave the store, an AT&T store representative can help you with that.
You will also select an available plan during activation.

I don't think they want to do any work.;)
Lets just hope that they disclose this information before people go to buy the phone. For me and you, we both now read the FAQ that says we can get pre-approved. But if there are going to be 10mil units sold and lets say 75% (around 7.5mil) will be at home activating the service, if they don't' agree with the deposit(or can't afford it), they should have the option to get FULL refund! This is an obviouse loophole ATT is forgetting. While I think the at-home activation is a great idea, there could be some problems as I just mentioned above.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
630 is not bad but it is not good either, rather average, mediocre. With that rating I would assume some deposit.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Lets just hope that they disclose this information before people go to buy the phone. For me and you, we both now read the FAQ that says we can get pre-approved. But if there are going to be 10mil units sold and lets say 75% (around 7.5mil) will be at home activating the service, if they don't' agree with the deposit(or can't afford it), they should have the option to get FULL refund! This is an obviouse loophole ATT is forgetting. While I think the at-home activation is a great idea, there could be some problems as I just mentioned above.
You might want to get that squared away before you hand over the six bills on Friday.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

anybody reasonably intelligent knows that wireless contracts are revolving contracts that require a credit check, this is standard practice for the entire industry I cant see anyone who has a cell phone contract does not know this, unless it is not under their name or they are a minor.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
anybody reasonably intelligent knows that wireless contracts are revolving contracts that require a credit check, this is standard practice for the entire industry I cant see anyone who has a cell phone contract does not know this, unless it is not under their name or they are a minor.

We will just have to wait and see I guess. But I know If took that box home, and they asked 500$ and I should be able to just say no and take teh product back for a full-refund. Why should I have to pay $60 restocking because they want to force their clients to activate at home vs. getting the terms at the time of purchase of the phone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
We will just have to wait and see I guess. But I know If took that box home, and they asked 500$ and I should be able to just say no and take teh product back for a full-refund. Why should I have to pay $60 restocking because they want to force their clients to activate at home vs. getting the terms at the time of purchase of the phone.
Just don't buy it then. You'll sleep better.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
If you don't pass the credit check, you have two choices:
1) you may refuse the line of service and the deposit, and lose the 10% restocking fee, or
2) you may activate the phone on a GoPhone pick your plan line, with the iPhone data plan added.

The ONLY way to get an iPhone as a GoPhone is if you don't pass the credit check and require a deposit to open the line. So you can refuse a deposit and still get service, but it is slightly more expensive and you must set up automatic payments for the bill.

This is directly from the regional manager of AT&T here. They had training for managers today.

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
If you have to pay a deposit when you're activating on iTunes. Can you pay it online? Or do you have to go back to AT&T and pay at the store?