Are we on legacy AT&T or Cingular?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Or have the two companies merged the networks so completely that it's a moot point?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Or have the two companies merged the networks so completely that it's a moot point?

That is a good question. AT&T had their network, then Cingular with their network bought AT&T and merged the 2 networks. I would imagine it is one network again owned by AT&T

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
That is a good question. AT&T had their network, then Cingular with their network bought AT&T and merged the 2 networks. I would imagine it is one network again owned by AT&T
Well, the point being that at one time, AT&T had a TDMA-based network while Cingular was GSM. I'm not sure if AT&T converted to GSM before/after the Cingular deal or if they just stopped using that network. Being a Sprint customer, I hadn't followed AT&T much, but if we're on the legacy Cingular network, I've got an issue with that "more bars in more places" nonsense. :)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Well, the point being that at one time, AT&T had a TDMA-based network while Cingular was GSM. I'm not sure if AT&T converted to GSM before/after the Cingular deal or if they just stopped using that network. Being a Sprint customer, I hadn't followed AT&T much, but if we're on the legacy Cingular network, I've got an issue with that "more bars in more places" nonsense. :)

I know for a fact that AT&T was GSM before then, still have the old phone on the shelf. I almost never have full bars in more places.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Ah, OK.. Guess they got tired of being the lone TDMA player. Probably got hard to get phone manufacturers to make phones for them. So it's back to the same question I guess - are the networks fully merged at this point?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ah, OK.. Guess they got tired of being the lone TDMA player. Probably got hard to get phone manufacturers to make phones for them. So it's back to the same question I guess - are the networks fully merged at this point?
But you are right they did have the TDMA originally, then when they went to GSM they had the maps in the store detailing where the GSM was. Because they did not have it everywhere.