Are you getting the 5S, or waiting for the 6?

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Since installing iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 I have determined that there is nothing in the software that could pry my JB iPhone 5 from my hands. The next hardware would have to be something very special to get me to upgrade.
I'm just curious. What are you using JB that iOS 7 doesn't fix? For me it takes a big chunk, not everything, but a lot of what I use the Jailbreak for so I am more and more tempted.

I love being able to customize icon placement with Gridlock, and I don't think the new backgrounding will work as specifically per app as Background Manager. I've grown attached to the extra customized row of keys in iKeywi as well as the convenience and coolness of JellyLock. So many Springtomize tweaks, Color Keyboard, BytaFont, Diet Bulletin and lots of Winterboard themes make my phone look the way I want. I'll grant you that I may not need Auxo or SBS with iOS 7 but that's all I see being included that is on my list.

Mathew Connelly

Bronze
Jul 13, 2011
Why do I have the feeling that there will be two iPhones being released this fall - iPhone 5S - the budget multicolor toy, and iPhone 6, the real iPhone. So - no need to wait for the iPhone 6?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why do I have the feeling that there will be two iPhones being released this fall - iPhone 5S - the budget multicolor toy, and iPhone 6, the real iPhone. So - no need to wait for the iPhone 6?
I think the only reason they would call it a 5S is if it looks just like a 5.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
If Verizon had the HTC One I probably would skip just to try something different but they don't so I'll probably upgrade to the 5S in the fall.
I actually gave my wife my iPhone 5 so I could get a Galaxy S4...bad mistake. The GS4 does everything I need...but it's not as fun. I miss it.

So long as the new iPhone offers 128GB storage, I'll be returning to the iosphere.

Jim

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I was thinking of waiting until iPhone 6 comes out next year, but now I read that AT&T will have a new NEXT plan which allows us to upgrade every year without any extra charges. I might consider that and see what the 5S has to offer this Fall.

EDIT: After reviewing AT&T's latest NEXT plan, thanks to Chris' article, I will wait for the 6. I should have known AT&T would have a trick up its sleeve and double-dip its customers.

Last edited:

dallasjetfan

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
I'm moving to the 5S from the 4S. It will be a nice upgrade with new iOS, LTE, camera, etc. I don't care about fingerprint reader. Just camera, LTE and iOS7.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I'm now more excited about getting the iPhone 5S. AT&T gave me a partial subsidy! I thought I'd be out having to pay retail. Depaending on when the keynote and pre-order date will be, I'll be getting my iPhone on release day with everyone else. I'm keeping an eye out for the keynote date and the pre-ordate date which usually follows the keynote on a friday.

YAY!

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm moving to the 5S from the 4S. It will be a nice upgrade with new iOS, LTE, camera, etc. I don't care about fingerprint reader. Just camera, LTE and iOS7.
I'm also on the "S" cycle with a 64gb 4S, up from a 32gb 3GS. I'd be willing to use my upgrade for the new hardware/software features of the putative 5S but would seriously consider waiting if it is merely a 5C i.e., where the "C" stands for cheap/plastic color.
YMMV

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited:

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
I've upgraded every year so far. This year may be different though. If an ipad mini with retina display is released that may take precedence.

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I had the 4s and thought the ip5 was a lot different than the 4s in every way but I'm going to stick with my ip5 this time as ios7 will be enough to keep me happy till the ip6 arrives with the 4.3inch screen or 4.7 and gives the iPhone a totally new look and feel.. Ps I can't believe people think the ip4s is the same as the ip5..!

Sent using iCafe app

Kentyet

Jun 17, 2013
Next monthly I will buy either iPhone 5S or Galaxy S4...I can't make up my mind now.

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
Well, I am undecided. My eyesight sucks...I'm older than Naps! I mostly use my 4S to make calls as I schlep my iPad with me most places. I am pretty sure I can sell it for a good price as it was (accidentally) unlocked by AT&T. I am more than eligible for an upgrade but do I really need it? I am getting tired of many of these upgrades that don't change much.
I guess I am in the camp of let's wait and see.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I am undecided. My eyesight sucks...I'm older than Naps! I mostly use my 4S to make calls as I schlep my iPad with me most places. I am pretty sure I can sell it for a good price as it was (accidentally) unlocked by AT&T. I am more than eligible for an upgrade but do I really need it? I am getting tired of many of these upgrades that don't change much.
Like you I would rather wait until a really big upgrade takes place, ie. iPhone 6. I doubt I will even move to iOS 7 because I want to keep my jailbreak. I'm still holding on to my 4S. Some here would think it was crazy to hold out for that long. I don't mind. The iPhone 6 will give me something to really look forward to.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
The 4S is a great phone. An upgrade isn't necessary until its necessary. I have the iPhone 5 and had come from the iPhone 4S and it was a big change for me. But this next change may not be as significant.

Sent using iCafe app

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I think your the sensible one for sticking with your iPhone 4/4s. As you said why bother updating to ios7 if you have a jailbreak. I'm on the ip5 and wish I had stayed with my 4s as it was well made and could handle a few knocks. My black ip5 can't it's always looking for an excuse to scratch or scuff.

I will wait for the iPhone 6 and will be going for white or maybe Apple will have every color you could imagine by then..

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited by a moderator: