Are you going to upgrade from the iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2' started by Josh Yates, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I'm torn...wondering what many if you are going to do.

If I sell my iPad Air right now (64 GB wifi), I can get about $400 for it on Craigslist. If I wait a year...I'm looking at $300 or less.

I don't see a need to upgrade to the iPad Air 2, but the margin of resale will be less next year.

What will you be doing?

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

If the new one is confirmed to have 2GB RAM, I will upgrade. Otherwise, no thanks.

3. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I'm going to make three moves to get the iPad Air 2:

1) Sell my 32gb iPad mini retina AT&T. Since I've gotten my iPhone 6+, I've barely used the Mini and doubt that I will miss it. Since I alway have my iPhone 6+ with me, no need to lug the mini around to. I will also save about $12/month by removing the iPad mini retina from my AT&T plan.
    2) Sell my wife's iPad 4th generation and give her my iPad Air.
    3) Purchase iPad Air 2 64gb or 128gb wifi. I use the iPad Air around the house 95% of the time with wifi and will tether to my iPhone 6+ whenever I need to take the iPad Air 2 on the road.

I will end up netting a couple of hundred dollars in the deal, my wife will be happy with her Air and I will be happy with my Air 2. So long as wife is happy, everyone is happy ;)

4. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Turning my iPad Air into AT&T on the NEXT program getting the iPad Air 2 in exchange.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I just upgraded to an iPad Air a few months ago and have no interest in upgrading to the Air 2. I typically go with a 2 year cycle on my iPad and iPhone.

6. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I typically go two years on my iPad, every year on iPhone (one of our contracts are up every year). However, the reduced sell value is tempting me to sell/upgrade this time. Don't thing the iPad Air 2 is a great upgrade...but...hmm...

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I was going to hand down my Air and buy the Air 2 just for the touch ID feature. But after sleeping on it I am going to pass on this one.. I am pretty underwhelmed by the upgrade and the only thing announced that seriously peeked my interest was the 5K iMac..

I am thinking about snarfing up one of them..

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I haven't upgraded from my iPad 3 and don't plan to. I really only use it on flights for video and my 6 Plus did that job very well on my last flight back home.

9. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I use my iPad Air all the time. Not sure it is worth upgrading to the Air 2. Touch ID scanner really doesn't do much for me.

I may have jumped to the Mini 3, if it had the upgraded guys like the new Air.

10. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

Me too. Have you found a case for one that's available by the time the new iPad Air 2 arrives?

#10 Apple4me, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  11. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, Apple will have the Smart Cover and smart case in stock soon, but they are ridiculously over priced for what they are. I did order this one on Saturday to hold me over until 3rd parties release a decent case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201197157987 . Received a USPS tracking number last night that indicates it will arrive by this Thursday. I just hope my iPad Air 2 arrives on the same day

#11 Apple4me, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll be going from a mini to an Air 2, right? Do you prefer the size of the mini? I'm disappointed that the mini retina 2 didn't any any upgrades aside from storage space and Touch ID, so I won't be upgrading since I prefer the smaller size of the mini.

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

No, I have an air. I sold my mini to upgrade last fall. The mini is cool, but I need to have a full sized iPad for typing. With the air's landscape keyboard, I can *almost* type like a normal physical keyboard. The bigger size is also nice for games and videos, so I doubt i'll go with a Mini again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm going to check out the iPad Air 2 in the stores. If it's light enough, I might sell my retina mini and go back to full size so I can get the better specs.

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Actually, from the iPad (original) anything would be great. I can barely turn it on without crashing!! :mad:
    I think the specs on the new Air 2 are great and will not be out of date for many years.