Are you going to upgrade?

Is it worth it to get the new 3G iphone

• Total voters

thatmtnman

May 27, 2008
Hi Everyone!

After reading the announcement on the new phone, and considering everything, I've decided not to upgrade. I don't think there is enough of an improvement to warrant an upgrade. I also think that some of the things Apple did, like the cheap curved plastic back piece actually makes the 3G less desirable. I would have liked better battery life of course, but it seems that Apple has a penchant for overstating the life of the battery under real life expected, as opposed to theoretical use-so I don't have any confidence that I would get that much extra time, were I going to go that route anyway.

I'm wondering if I am alone in my thinking, so I am putting up a poll to find out if the forum thinks I am right or wrong!

thanks!

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
All i wanted was 3g.

Just wait till this gets hacked to tether to a laptop. That will be worth the extra $10 in data charges right there.

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
i really don`t see a reason (or maybe i will)to buy the new one not to many changes to it, the 2.0 fw on the other hand seems to be preety cool, and it`s weird why it`s so cheap, maybe it comes at this price with a big data plan or something

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'll be getting a 3G iPhone for sure, despite the lack of a larger hard drive (32GB ).

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I use EDGE a lot when I am out and about. The 3G is awesome for me.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hi Everyone!

After reading the announcement on the new phone, and considering everything, I've decided not to upgrade. I don't think there is enough of an improvement to warrant an upgrade. I also think that some of the things Apple did, like the cheap curved plastic back piece actually makes the 3G less desirable. I would have liked better battery life of course, but it seems that Apple has a penchant for overstating the life of the battery under real life expected, as opposed to theoretical use-so I don't have any confidence that I would get that much extra time, were I going to go that route anyway.

I'm wondering if I am alone in my thinking, so I am putting up a poll to find out if the forum thinks I am right or wrong!

thanks!
I'm answering your original question, which is. Will you upgrade? Hell Yeah! Mark:cool:

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
I have been getting by with the 8gb so waiting a little while longer or until something happens to mine to upgrade to the 32gb or 64gb what ever should be available at the time.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
For only $300 to double my storage and download speeds, it's a no brainer.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I probably won't be getting it. I like my metal back, i have a gps (i need to find it) and i figure i use most of my heavy internet use when i'm at home with wifi at great speeds so 3G would be nice, it isn't a must. Edge works for me where i am perfectly. I'm mostly just looking forward to the 2.0 software. The way i see it, i can hold on to version one and then i'll get the next one v3 or if a 32 gig comes out and i feel the need to change for some reason.

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
No plans to get the new iPhone. I am looking forward to the 2.0 update and the apps that will be available. My current phone is good for another at a minimum.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
The 3G speed would be my only reason. I like my metal back and the idea of plastic does not appeal. I want to see the 2.0 firmware update in action. And if indeed activation is in store only, even if I knew right now that I'm definitely upgrading, I wouldn't do so on the first day. For the most part, I do fine with EDGE, but would I prefer faster speed, well, sure of course. Don't really want to add another $10/month either, but I also don't have a comparison of what other 3G devices rate plans are. I also don't care to have less battery life; currently I do just fine. But while perhaps for the time being I don't see an overwhelming reason to upgrade, I voted maybe, because I may still opt to do so. I'll have to decide if 3G alone is worth that.

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
No upgrades for me

Just paid for a retaining wall in the back yard. I don't do much surfing unless I'm on wifi. If I've just got to find something, then I take the time to find it. Don't use half the space on my 8gig'er now, so I'd be wasting a lot of space on the 16. And finally, not enough pizazz with the new phone to make me want to upgrade. I'm fine where I'm at. Will be jailbreaking again tho. Been stock for about 3 months now... itching to go back to the dark side!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I wont be camping but Ill definitely be upgrading. I don't mind not getting a 32gb, 16 is perfect for me. And with 3G speeds Ill be streaming 60gb worth of music and video anyway (OrbLive), so that leaves a lot of space for Apps (like OrbLive!)
I think people expected way to much out of the 3G iPhone. Im pleased with the changes. If there was one more upgrade I was hoping for it was a camera, but Ill deal with the current one.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'd say, probably not.

I'm on wifi 95 % of the time. I don't need 3G.
I don't really play games.
I don't need GPS. I never go anyplace where I get lost or need directions!

All I wanted was an IMPROVED CAMERA, with software to go with it. I'm not getting it :mad::mad::mad:!

My only reason to buy the new phone would be because I'm spoiled-rotten and I may not be able to resist buying a brand-new gadget.

That's not a very good reason.

winterymix

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
St. Albans, WV
I do a lot of web surfing on my phone. 3G is my primary reason for wanting to upgrade. I kind of like the idea of the plastic back. The metal on my original is as slick as ice when my hands are really dry. I imagine the plastic will be a bit more tacky. I'm very excited about the app store too..and I figure 3G will allow you to get the most out of some of the apps.

-Wintery

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
I do a lot of web surfing on my phone. 3G is my primary reason for wanting to upgrade. I kind of like the idea of the plastic back. The metal on my original is as slick as ice when my hands are really dry. I imagine the plastic will be a bit more tacky. I'm very excited about the app store too..and I figure 3G will allow you to get the most out of some of the apps.

-Wintery
In the mean time you might put a skin on it from some of the various vendors out there. I got my phone on release day last year and I am on my second skin. Makes a big difference. Just a thought.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Apple didn't blow it, but I'm still waiting for the next version because it makes the most sense for me.

J

johnson56k

i think i will wait for 32 gb model. even my touch is seeping out the edges