Are you going to use the iPhone SDK?

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I dunno how hard it is to develop an app. But are any of you planning on designing any apps? If so what would you like to do?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I would like one that allows you to control power management and to boost the signal. I am not sure if you could boost the signal from a software angle, but the power management thing would be great. I hate that when the phone sleeps it *seems* to reduce the signal strength since you turn it on it takes a bit to refresh or whatever. I would like that to be more consistent. Same way you can have it on the desk in front of you and see if go from no service to 4 bars. Whatever would make that stop is what I would like to see.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure that Apple is only giving the SDK to major developers, like Google and Adobe.

- John

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure that Apple is only giving the SDK to major developers, like Google and Adobe.

- John
I thought that it was supposed to be a completely
open thing? Though I suppose it could not be too open due to security reasons.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I sure hope they remember the little developers, and BeeJive gets on board...

I want Jivetalk native on the iPhone!

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I sure hope they remember the little developers, and BeeJive gets on board...

I want Jivetalk native on the iPhone!
This won't happen. AT&T does not want to waste its bandwidth (which is unlimited) when they could make money off of SMS.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I thought that it was supposed to be a completely
open thing? Though I suppose it could not be too open due to security reasons.
I'm sure security is the main reason. There's also a rumor that certain developers have been 'seeded' the SDK, and have already been developing some applications for a while.

The developer of Lights Off, the first game for the iPhone, was hired by Apple a few weeks back as a Software Developer.

- John

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I'm sure security is the main reason. There's also a rumor that certain developers have been 'seeded' the SDK, and have already been developing some applications for a while.

The developer of Lights Off, the first game for the iPhone, was hired by Apple a few weeks back as a Software Developer.

- John
Yeh I read about all that.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
This won't happen. AT&T does not want to waste its bandwidth (which is unlimited) when they could make money off of SMS.
the thing i'm looking forward to most would be a native aim application...if they wouldn't make then i would be very disappointed

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com

- John
im pretty sure Apple will give it to anyone that is signed up at developer.apple.com

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I would like to make a program for one of the communities I run. We have a couple of programs for Windows that we use currently, but as I don't have a mac, I can't develop one for the mac. I'm sure there's gotta be a few iPhone/iPod Touch users that would certainly be happy about it if I could make one for at least the mobile version of OSX.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder

As it is already available for other AT&T devices I don't see this a plausible reason to not allow it be developed or executed using the iPhone.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
As it is already available for other AT&T devices I don't see this a plausible reason to not allow it be developed or executed using the iPhone.
Shot down. That's good i need aim.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca

my sister has aim in her att razor.... that is bandwith too right.. what is the difference with the iPhone then?

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
my sister has aim in her att razor.... that is bandwith too right.. what is the difference with the iPhone then?
Exactly. There are several IM programs available for Blackberry. I can't imagine the iPhone will be different.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
oh, crap. I just thought of something. Am I gonna need a mac to develop iPhone software using the SDK? :(

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
yes, but because Apple gets a percentage of iPhone bills they'd rather have you use a text message than use internet. There is no other cell phone company that has a contract with the provider they sell phones where that cell phone maker gets a cut of the bills on the phones they produce. This means no other phone maker has an incentive to keep an AIM program off their phone.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
yes, but because Apple gets a percentage of iPhone bills they'd rather have you use a text message than use internet. There is no other cell phone company that has a contract with the provider they sell phones where that cell phone maker gets a cut of the bills on the phones they produce. This means no other phone maker has an incentive to keep an AIM program off their phone.
Except that Apple's revenue sharing model gives them a fixed amount from every subscriber and not a percentage of the user's individual overage usage. Regardless if you send 10 or 1,000 texts, Apple is getting paid the same. So again, it doesn't make sense that they would not have a dedicated IM app.