Are you happy with your job?

Aug 8, 2012
If so, what do you do? Currently thinking about a career change...Would love to get some good ideas.

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
If so, what do you do? Currently thinking about a career change...Would love to get some good ideas.
I personally love my job. I work for a city water plant. Most anyone you ask that work at a city water plant or Wastewater plant love their job. Now not sure what pay range you are looking for or if you are willing to move. In Ohio pay is based on how big the water system is.
I enjoy what I do and for the most part I never have to worry about losing my job. People always need water. I also don't deal with angry customers, that's distributions problem.

Good luck

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
What do you do now? What's making you think about a career change?

I LOVE my job. It's a 50/50 split between advertising sales and writing for a couple of websites. My boss is very laid back and I work from home. No meetings, phone calls are rare, I travel to conferences maybe once or twice per year, and I have a ton of freedom in when and how I get my work done.

I've been doing this kind of work for about 4 years now after making a career change from corporate jobs working in human resources for several years. I realized I hated HR with a passion and wanted to be a technology writer instead so I started my own website in 2007 to get some practice, which was a big help in getting me my first job in this industry.

Aug 8, 2012
I personally love my job. I work for a city water plant. Most anyone you ask that work at a city water plant or Wastewater plant love their job. Now not sure what pay range you are looking for or if you are willing to move. In Ohio pay is based on how big the water system is.
I enjoy what I do and for the most part I never have to worry about losing my job. People always need water. I also don't deal with angry customers, that's distributions problem.

Good luck
Cool! Stability is something I'm looking for. Everybody does need water :) I'll see if there are any openings in my area.

Aug 8, 2012
What do you do now? What's making you think about a career change?

I LOVE my job. It's a 50/50 split between advertising sales and writing for a couple of websites. My boss is very laid back and I work from home. No meetings, phone calls are rare, I travel to conferences maybe once or twice per year, and I have a ton of freedom in when and how I get my work done.

I've been doing this kind of work for about 4 years now after making a career change from corporate jobs working in human resources for several years. I realized I hated HR with a passion and wanted to be a technology writer instead so I started my own website in 2007 to get some practice, which was a big help in getting me my first job in this industry.
Wow! You're living the life! I always thought jobs like that were unicorns and didn't exist but apparently they do. Sounds like you're a 21st century Don Draper :)

I was sort of a businesss consultant for a fortune 500 but simply hated it. Beginning to think life isn't all about money but doing what you love.

Aug 31, 2010
I'm a lawyer and I'm happy with it, but do not yet know if I will be happy with it forever. In any case, I'm happy for now and it will have opened a lot of doors for me if I ever decide I'm no longer happy. Make sense? :)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Wow! You're living the life! I always thought jobs like that were unicorns and didn't exist but apparently they do. Sounds like you're a 21st century Don Draper :)

I was sort of a businesss consultant for a fortune 500 but simply hated it. Beginning to think life isn't all about money but doing what you love.
I consider myself to be pretty lucky and count my blessings every day. :)

Something you may find helpful would be to meet with a career counselor (not like the ones you might have had in high school - a real, professional career counselor). I met with one a couple of times when I was looking to leave HR and it really helped me narrow down what I wanted to do when I left HR. She gave me a couple of career interest tests and we talked about their results and my interests in more depth. I don't think I would have really pegged what the right job was for me in the long run without her help. If you can find one in your area (with good references), I'd definitely recommend it.

Yes I am very happy with my current job of being retired at 47 :D
Hey! How did you retire at 47? Spill the secret! :)

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Marianne, almost 27 years with the FD I worked at. Long story, but actually woke up one day and said enough is enough. LOVED the job & I still support them anyway I can. Only retired with 3/4 of full pay, so I do photography & computer work now... But I ask for payments now too. Lol

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I don't like my job, but I'm very good at it. I do however, love my profession.

I'm in sales and I truly enjoy helping people. The company I'm currently with is dysfunctional and it drives me crazy.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

Aug 8, 2012
I consider myself to be pretty lucky and count my blessings every day. :)

Something you may find helpful would be to meet with a career counselor (not like the ones you might have had in high school - a real, professional career counselor). I met with one a couple of times when I was looking to leave HR and it really helped me narrow down what I wanted to do when I left HR. She gave me a couple of career interest tests and we talked about their results and my interests in more depth. I don't think I would have really pegged what the right job was for me in the long run without her help. If you can find one in your area (with good references), I'd definitely recommend it.

That's cool! Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to give that a try :)

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I love my job! I'm a factory tech for injection molding machine. I go into a different plant almost everyday and work on a new problem. Been employed by the same company for 25 years.
I try to always realize what I have and be thankful instead of feeling the company owes me. They have treated me well since the day I started.
Tom
PS
My job today was setting up robotics for the new iPhone 5 cases. I would love to snap a pic but would be kicked out of the customers plant if I did.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I also love me job, I've only been in the HVAC industry for about a year now. In short I'm a controls engineer for HVAC and whatever else can be switched. All of our controls are wireless, meaning they can be controlled from anywhere in the world i.e via a webpage. I'm going on a shed load of courses later this year (just before Winter sets in) for large heating controls jobs. I'm talking heating systems for the likes of shopping centres etc. My life is busy and I do spend a lot of time away and I do a hell of a lot of driving, on average a 800-1200 miles a week (Mon-Fri).

... The life of an Electrical Engineer (y)

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Become a professional bed-tester. What you do is fall asleep on brand new bed, wake-up and tell the creators if it's good or crap. Easy. Everyone needs a comfy bed! :D
no lol

Funny thou, someone called me 5 minutes ago to talk my ear off of how good my food was. I still hate my job.