Are you planning to buy the Apple Watch?

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I probably will pass. I have a smart watch already. It's called the Martian Notifier. It looks like a more traditional watch but it gets notifications. So I receive texts and any app that sends notifications I can enable or disable. It has haptic feedback so it vibrates differently for texts, phone calls, or emails. It's nice in the fact that it doesn't look like a smart watch. It also works with Android and Apple smartphones. It has two batteries. One for the watch and one for the LCD. I have to charge it about every 5 days. Even if the LCD runs out of juice since there are two batteries the watch itself still functions. Oh and it only costs $129.

http://www.martianwatches.com/notifier/

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Do you know anyone getting both?
I'm seriously considering it, just to keep my "techie" cred. But I'm having a tough time justifying it financially. I still haven't watched the entire demo of the watch from the even yesterday(I know, how could I MISS it!!), but once I do so and better understand the functionality, I will make a final decision. I'm going to be a slightly later than normal upgrader anyhow cause I don't know how AT&T is handling upgrades(i've still got a year left on my contract, and no kiddie lines available either since my Daughter just got married), but my wife is finally starting to see the light and may want a smartphone, meaning iPhone, and if so, we will do that in October, so we'll see what happens.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
A friend of mine said for most it's either the iPhone or the Watch. Do you know anyone getting both?
I don't, I don't know anyone who's getting an iPhone 6 either. One problem I see, for me, I'll probably break the damn thing. I run into walls all the time.

iPhoneFan10

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Yes, when I can afford it, I plan on purchasing both the iPhone 6+ and the Apple Watch Sport.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
one thing that surprised me was that it *requires* an iPhone. I was certainly expecting a certain synergy benefit with other Apple hardware, but not supporting android or windows at all was a little surprising to me.
was thinking the same thing. globally Android's numbers are crazy.

I wear a watch and am itching to find just the right SmartWatch. was really hoping the Apple Watch would be an option.

Sent from my Oneplus One

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I was also surprised they couldn't push it out in time for Christmas. that would have been one hot gift item.

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
I didn't think I would want one but now that I see it. I will wait and see how it looks in real life though. If it does anything that I think I might actually use I could be tempted.

Posts like this about to be sent from my iPhone 6 very soon using iCafe Forums

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well I've been looking at getting a heart rate monitor anyway, and they're already $100+. So if you figure for another $250, you'll get a better experience as well as iphone integration, the price is a little more palatable.

I'm also not sure I wanna advertise to the world I'm "that guy with an apple watch". I wish it were a little more discreet.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
well I've been looking at getting a heart rate monitor anyway, and they're already $100+. So if you figure for another $250, you'll get a better experience as well as iphone integration, the price is a little more palatable.

I'm also not sure I wanna advertise to the world I'm "that guy with an apple watch". I wish it were a little more discreet.
I like the built-in heart rate monitor feature very much, and perhaps even more, the fact that it measures blood pressure. Although my own vitals are fairly decent (knock on wood), I do have a couple of older friends for whom these abilities of the iWatch could come in very handy.

My mom keeps her wrist blood pressure monitor in its original box, and the box in a bag (she's very protective of her gadgets; many remain in pristine shape after years). I don't think she minds the extra work too much of unboxing the wrist monitor every time she wants to taker her BP, but if I could succeed in selling her on one of the new Apple watches, then maybe it would be great for her... (and therefore borrow it once or twice a week until such time as I decide to get my own).

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
What if you have a really important phone call and you don't want to pull out your phone? You can take the call from your watch. There are actually times where I don't want to pull the phone out of my pocket to do a simple function like make a call or receive a call.
Good grief! I guess you're too young to remember phone booths. And that's all we had away from home. I've driven around for nearly an hour trying to find a pay phone. And you complain about pulling your phone out of your pocket? Really? Are you that lazy? The Apple watch is cool, but I have no use for it. It's a gadget to make Apple more money. That's it.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Good grief! I guess you're too young to remember phone booths. And that's all we had away from home. I've driven around for nearly an hour trying to find a pay phone. And you complain about pulling your phone out of your pocket? Really? Are you that lazy? The Apple watch is cool, but I have no use for it. It's a gadget to make Apple more money. That's it.

My daughter asked what a pay phone was when I mentioned one recently. Many people from these later generations can't fathom some of the things we had to "endure".

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
No, it's not that I'm too young to remember phone booths. It's that it is a matter of convenience. I'll be ten first to admit that I like things to be accessible and reaching in your pocket for a phone is a bit inconvenient if you can press a button on a watch and take the call. We are living in a digital age where you shouldn't have to do things the old way when you can take advantage of technology to get it done faster and often more efficiently.

I'm not lazy. I believe in moving with the times. As Apple likes to call it, this is innovation.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I was also surprised they couldn't push it out in time for Christmas. that would have been one hot gift item.
i believe the release is pushed back because of that. The phone will be fresh and people will get that since there is no watch. Then when business is slow Apple has yet one more item to sell.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i tend to think they just logistically couldn't get it out in time. I can't imagine they'd wait to release a product by months if it were ready, especially if it means missing Christmas.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Looks awesome...would love it...but I'll wait for version 2, if at all. I'll probably go for a Pebble Steel. Their price will prob go to $199 & I use the Jawbone Up24 for health stuff.

Honestly...it's overpriced.